cz75b

my fluid bed experience

Well, I built on via Cadman's tutorial, a great piece! My troubles were the pump and air volume. My aquarium pump was rated for 20-60 gallon tanks but it didn't seem to produce enough to stir up anything. After a bunch of tries with paper bags and coffee filters, I tried to reduce the cup from 3 to 2 inches. Not much improvement so I dug out a 1/10 hp compressor, used modelng clay to plug the hole around the 1/4 inch tubing since the compressor hose didn't fit the valve....and proceeded to coat everything near my fluid bed with a coating of harbor freight yellow powder paint......I rigged a way to reduce the air going into the bed and it looks like I'll have a working fluid bed for my limited powder painting of jigs, spoons and spinner baits. This is a great list!

Kinda off the subject, but i saw that you used Harbor Freight powder paint. I tried some once (White I believe) and I dont know what the difference in it and other stuff like Pro-Tek is, but nothing would stick to it (like stick-on eys for my larger fish head jigs) very strange. The paint was a gloss finish just like the protech, but nothing sticky would stick to it..............anyway just wonder if you like it for lures?

Harbor Freight has four colors of powder paint for about $5/POUND, RED, WHITE, YELLOW (GLOSS) AND FLAT BLACK which all look great on lures, seem to go on a little thicker though but great to get someone started in powder paint. Also great to experiment with mixing colors. I'm still trying to grasp why the lure company paints are so expensive when the bulk powders sell for about the same per half pound as two ounces of fancy fishing lure powders. I wish HF carried all the colors at that price:)