TightLinez

Just a few more questions and I'm good to go.....

So I've almost got all the supplies to start my first swimbait. I've got my PVC trim board (crap is expensive! :eek:), eye screws, pins, epoxy, yadda yadda yadda......

For my line tie, hook hangers, and hinges, can I just drill a pilot hole, put some epoxy in it, and screw the eye screw in, or will they pull out?

Where do you guys get the rolls of pencil lead or whatever else you use for the ballast?

What ratio do you guys use for your segments? I know the head is generally larger, but are the other sections the same size as each other?

What should I use for my pins? I've got some small steel brad nails that are the perfect size. Also, my eye screws are zinc- are they too weak or will they rust?

If you guys could help me out I'd REALLY appreciate it!!!! :worship::worship::worship:

pencil lead can be found at most tackle store. even walmart sells it. i use 1/4" but it is available in 3/16" too. keep the ballast as low in the bait as possible to minimize side roll.

make the eye screw hole larger than the diameter of the screw so you will have a pocket of epoxy to bed the screw in, use 2t epoxy, much stronger than the 5min.

the wider the gap between segments the more exagerated the action will be, usually.

the zinc probably won't rust. i use s.s. whenever possible.

pencil lead can be found at most tackle store. even walmart sells it. i use 1/4" but it is available in 3/16" too. keep the ballast as low in the bait as possible to minimize side roll.

make the eye screw hole larger than the diameter of the screw so you will have a pocket of epoxy to bed the screw in, use 2t epoxy, much stronger than the 5min.

the wider the gap between segments the more exagerated the action will be, usually.

the zinc probably won't rust. i use s.s. whenever possible.

:lol: As if you haven't helped me enough already! I've watched your video 3 times and you did a great job. If anyone was thinking about getting into swimbaits, GET JOHN"S VIDEO. How big do you make the head section compared to the other sections? Let's say I made a 5"- 4pc. bait. Should the head be 2" and the other sections be 1"?

By the way, I don't know if I missed it, but did you mention how to cut the slots for the fins and how deep?

Thank you!

Edited by TightLinez
forgot something

The ratio 2:1:1:1 seems quite popular. I have just drawn one out with the same ratio and it looks good to me.

The bait I have just drawn out is also 5" (plus tail). I suggest you too draw it out roughly and lay on your hardware, to plan for all the positions. A 5" bait is quite small and if you don't plan, you may find yourself getting a headache later.

The epoxy + screw eyes should be fine.

for the pins, some use bicycle spokes. If you are concerned about rust, sit the nail on a plate in a few drops of slightly salty water. A couple of days will give you the answer.

Dave

From all the vids I have watched, it is my opinion that four swims better than three. But the fish are the ones we need to ask, both catch fish.

A 5" 4 seg is do-able, just needs planning. Mine is going to be a built in door hinge style, this releases a lot of room for the rest of the hardware (no horizontal screw eyes).

Which ever way you go, good luck with it and keep us posted.

Dave

:lol: As if you haven't helped me enough already! I've watched your video 3 times and you did a great job. If anyone was thinking about getting into swimbaits, GET JOHN"S VIDEO. How big do you make the head section compared to the other sections? Let's say I made a 5"- 4pc. bait. Should the head be 2" and the other sections be 1"?

By the way, I don't know if I missed it, but did you mention how to cut the slots for the fins and how deep?

Thank you!

i cut the slots for the fins before assembling the bait. cut matching slots in both halves approx. 1/8" deep and wide enough to insert the brush fibers, usually about 1/16" overall. don't overdo the fins, if they are too dense it will affect the swimming action.

the 2:1:1:1 ratio is good. look at the video where i show the top view of the bait and notice the shape and placement of the joints. i would do no less that 4 segments. have tried 3 and had to add a lip to get some action. it was also a 4" lure but had really nice action after adding the lip.

Don't give up on the three segment lure. Thanks to the combined advice from all of the experts on TU, I finally put a three segment lure together that swims and swims well. A three segment lure with no lip is do-able. It is a little over four inches long with hinges.. Will be posting a video of it very soon.

John