CreekMonster

No Casting Nets Allowed

Hey everyone, its been awile since I've posted anything, (been doing a lot of fishing). I have a question. I've been fishing a lake for largemouth, it has shad in it, and the bass are kinda picky. what is hte best way to catch some shad? Oh yea, NO CASTING NETS ALLOWED is one of the lakes rules and I can't import any kind of fish onto the property.(minnows, shiners,etc.) We managed to catch a few with a dip net, but it was too much trouble. Someone suggested a basket, but will a basket work with shad? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jay

Jay,

I got into a situation one time where I was in towards the back of a creek. There was a thick cloud of shad swerling around under the boat. I tied on a 1/4 ounce leadhead with a 3/0 hook on it and dropped it overboard. Everytime the school of shad came by, I would rip the leadhead up through them and snag one or two. Then drop the leadhead with the shad to the bottom and the waiting bass. Caught one on every drop. That was a fun afternoon.

Used these a lot when I was younger.

I'd bait it up with some pressed bread and cut up hot dogs.

Always caught baitfish and crawdads, sometimes small bluegill and perch.

If the opening is too small, there's a lot of resources online to make your own, google "minnow trap"

minnowtrap.jpg

minnowtrap.jpg

minnowtrap.jpg

minnowtrap.jpg

minnowtrap.jpg

minnowtrap.jpg

minnowtrap.jpg

minnowtrap.jpg

4439_thumb.attach

@ CreekMonster

In Europe casting nets are not permitted entirely .

Most of us catch the bait minnows with so called "Drop Nets" or "Minnow Seines" , but their size is also restricted to 1 X 1 metre .

They fold similar like an umbrella , you could tie them onto a broomstick with some thinner cord or purchase a very rigid 10 feet telescopic stick for them .

These seines are not considered as casting nets over here , since you don't cast them , only let them sink to the bottom , wait for a little while and pull them up as fast as possible . You might also chum a bit after it found rest on the bottom .

Sometimes , if the minnows are scarce or not schooling , we utilize 10 to 18 feet light pole rods with thin line , leader and float , chum the minnows a bit with scented breadcrumps and oats , use maggots as bait .

Sometimes this is the better way to go to get a sufficient stock of baitfish .

good luck , diemai:yay:

Edited by diemai

Me and my buddy are going to lake superior this weekend to catch some smelt this weekend we use both the seine and umbrella net. We definitely catch more with the seine. The way we do it is to walk out in a good looking flat sandy bottom spot drop the net that has a 6' pole on each side down to the bottom and pull in letting a slight bow form in the net if you hit a good school of shad you we feel them bouncing off the net and should catch a bucket full in no time.If you buy one I would recommend get one that is 1/4" mesh 25-30Ft. long and 4-5Ft tall you can also roll the net up around the handles to shorten it and use in creeks or by yourself by grabbing each pole spreading your arms apart and dredging the bottom. The only problem would be if they don't come in the shallows enough to walk out or you hang the net up on rocks.

Hope this helps.