TightLinez

So, it begins.......

Started my FIRST swimbait today (actually my first any-bait). It's going to be a 4" bluegill imitation. I know it's kind of small for my first one, but I drew everything out and it all looks good. I've got all the measurements for making a 4pc. and a 3pc. one, but I haven't decided which one I'm going to do....... OK both. :lol: Now, if I could just get my hands on a scroll saw, a spindle sander, a miter saw..... :?

Thanks again for all the help guys. I've got CA Delta's tut printed out and John's video handy. I'm sure I'll look at them a million times during the process! :worship:

P4190287.jpg

You like my little bluegill drawing there? I was getting a little tired at 3am and decided to doodle for a little bit. :yawn:

save your money on a spindle sander. unless you have a light touch you will take off too much material quite easily. put the money toward a good tabletop band saw. i got a sears for $159 on sale and it does all i need to do to make the initial shaping. the pvc carves easily so all you need is a utility knife and some sharp blades and sandpaper.

another note on the segment spacing. go with wider gaps between the segments until you get comfortable with making your baits. remember the 90 degree bend i talked about.

another thing, the drawing top view looks like the nose is too blunt. taper the angle more so as not to be pushing water in front of it. it will go through the water better.

Nice work so far. Looks like you got a knack for planning. I just uploaded my first swimmer and I cant say I put that much into it. I am sure yours will turn out nice. From the build i just did I can say, yes to pin/hinge and yes to V joints.

The one I did just had symmetrical rounded ends for joints and you can see the hardware. Next one I do will be like yours.