jcarman

Increasing production

I am sure someone out there has gone through this same issue...

I make striper lures, mostly 8" - 9" minnows and some large poppers too. I topcoat all my lures with D2T and have great success with it. It provides such a great depth to the lures, impact resistance, etc...but it's slow to brush on every lure.

I have a few bait shops and many customers demanding more lures and I would like to increase production, but the D2T is really the bottleneck. Does any one have any ideas or know of another topcoat that will provide the same depth and lustre without having to brush the product on? I have never used etex, but read many posting about it...do you dip or brush it on?

I have toyed around with DN's topcoat, sprayed it on and got a reasonable finish, but not as nice as D2T. Maybe thats just my technique!:mad:

Many people have talked about dipping DN's top coat, but I tried and ended up with drips, seemed messy, etc.

Please let me know any and all ideas. Thanks-

jc

JC,

Give etex a try. I have just started using it and it has been easy and problem free for me. It's much easier to brush on than D2T and it gives a nice deep, glossy finish. You will need a lure turner, but they are easily made from a grill rotisserie motor. Do a search and you will find plans on here. If you have a Michael's nearby, you can use their 50% off coupon to buy it.

There are some much more experienced lure builders on here than me, see what some others recommend.

If you do try etex, I would recomment buying some of the measuring syringes that Flex-Coat makes. They make measuring exact amounts very easy.

Hope I was of some help,

jeremy

J is right. I just got my lure turner for $10. Looked up rotisserie on craigslist and and found one that comes with a heating element. I took that stuff out and just use the frame for my turner. I can post a pic once my battery charges in my camera to give ya a better idea of what one i got.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

I have a Michaels where I live and am heading over there today to get a box!

As far as lure turners go, a few years ago I got one of those chicken rotisserie units at a yard sale for 5 bucks. It already has two wheels and about 12" between them, so I just added some eye bolts and use springs to suspend my lures. Currently it takes four lures, but I think I can up that to 8. It even has a timer on it! If I could find another one of those I'd buy it too! I'll check Craigs list, thats a great idea!

Thanks again-

JC

I don't think any epoxy will speed up your production rate unless you're willing to mix a bunch and dip baits in large batches, knowing you will also have considerable epoxy wasted. Envirotex Lite may brush on faster, but it also takes much longer to cure and may require multiple coats to get the finish you want. That ain't speeding things up! If you didn't like Dick Nite, you might investigate automotive clear coats. However, most of the more durable ones require a catalyst, taking you back to "square one" with wasted clear coat. Maybe there just isn't a good solution. I asked about auto clear coats in the past and didn't get much useful/specific info back from TU'ers.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the info. It's not that I don't like Dick Nite's topcoat, it's porbably more that I don't understand it yet and need to dig into it more. I like the idea of dipping lures, so I might try that in the coming days. Sounds like a great way to speed things up! Maybe I'll put something out on dipping DN and see what great advice I come up with. I'll tell you this, the TU folks have saved me some time and given great advice over the years. Nothing replaces experience! Thanks for the help-

Jeff

Have you considered propionate? A few larger manufacturers use this, must be a good reason. It has its own set of problems and learning curve though, nothing new there.

I don't think you will save on the hardening time, but their is no waste and the stuff doesn't go off. It will thicken over time, then you just add more solvent to the mix and you are good to go again.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I use etex and I have no problems useing it. It does take a long cure time though but to me its worth the end product.I suspend my baits in a |___| shaped rack that attaches to the dryer. Each bait has it own rack and it easier for me to do multiple baits because its one bolt to attach to the dryer instead of trying to hook the bait from the screw eyes with clear on them.You never have to touch the bait just the rackand then bolt with a bolt and wing nut. I have two dryers one large and one small. The larger dryer that will do about a hundred musky baits( never tried that many) and the smaller that will do about six.The racks do help speed up the clearing process because you can attach your bait on the wheel faster with less chance of dropping your bait .It also helps to have your better half mixing a batch of clear for the next batch of baits foryou while you are clearing larger number of baits. That way you dont have to stop and mix, you already have it ready for when you run out.

Edited by jamie

Jamie

That rack idea sounds awesome, but I can't quite picture it. Have you posted any pics of it, or would you mind?

Alex

My camera is not working ,but there is a pic of it in a old thread of mine called homemade tools.The rack is bolted to a flexable paint stand. I would link you to it but im lucky to know how to get on this site , so linking is out of the question. If someone could post a link it would be greatly appreciated.