bear21211

Hand Injection 5 Cavity Stik Bait Mold

After watching at least 4 videos and studying your injectors I built one from a bicycle air pump. Almost ready to put plastic through it. You have inspired me.

Did you build yours or are they a commercial source or conversion of some other type of injector? Almost looks like a cookie dough press.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I like what I saw. I built a small one but gave it up for vacume incetion last year. I posted on that before but it looks like my picture hosting site ate my photos. I have considered using marinade injectors that hold 2 fl. oz.

Bears are built for him and available for sale on his web site. I wonder how the seal in the bicycle pump will hold up to the 350 degree plastic? Post your results Keith

Pump mechanism is a hard plastic, able to take the high temp of 350 for a few shots.

It is simple with out valves, the slug is notched for an O-ring. the bottom has two notches in the rim that will not allow the o-ring to seal on the up stroke, hence it fills with air, on the down stroke the upper rim is continuous and presses uniformily on the o-ring.

I filled in the ring and notches with silicone. I cut a butyl rubber sheet to fit the bottowm of the slug and screwed that onto the slug with two screws and silicone. The butly rubber should insulate the hard plastic even further.

The plastic slug is made to take a great deal of heat as you know after pumping up a tire the compression heats up the end of the tube and the valve quite a bit, enought to burn you.

I cut off 10 inches of the bottom and the shaft. I put zinc pipe reducer from 1.25 to .5 on the pump tube and a .5 nipple on it.

Am waiting for the silicone to harden up some, but I can shoot water accross the room! Top come off with a pin or screw so it is easily cleaned out.

Not for production but for a hobbiest it should work. Will let you know.

Pike

We are actually making these to offer to our customers. As far as using a bicycle pump I would recommend you make sure you have a good pair of hot mill gloves and proper protection when you are doing your test. We had several failures and now have the injectors where they are as safe as they can be. If used with proper protection and common sense these work great. Ours have changeable high heat o-rings and will pretty much last forever.

We have built these to use with our new line of molds and we have a lot of users using them on other molds that are difficult to pour.

Let me know if I can help you.

Bear

Pike

We are actually making these to offer to our customers. As far as using a bicycle pump I would recommend you make sure you have a good pair of hot mill gloves and proper protection when you are doing your test. We had several failures and now have the injectors where they are as safe as they can be. If used with proper protection and common sense these work great. Ours have changeable high heat o-rings and will pretty much last forever.

We have built these to use with our new line of molds and we have a lot of users using them on other molds that are difficult to pour.

Let me know if I can help you.

Bear

Shane got me the info to your site. They are reasonable I may be getting one, will let you know. I used the bicycle pump mod successfully, added some material to the plunger and yes wore some gloves. It was a learning experience and already I built something a little better.

I found something called a lincoln siphon gun, that is a grease gun body with a cap and plunger and nozzle on the other end, both ends screw off. It needs a piece of butyl rubber that easily with the center nut bolts on to help with insulation. It will do a few at a time. I found this before Shane got the info about the Bear injectors to me. I move fast.

Without even having used yours I highly recommend your Bear Injector. I learned a lot from my injector experiments, that was fun and lets me qualify some to know what I am talking about. It is no savings building your own and it was never about money, if you like to tinker I say go for it for the fun of building your own design, after all that is why some of use build baits, but do not expect the results your injectors give. If you want to make plastic baits, use the Bear injector.

Thanks for the information, after I play a little I will decide on what I am going to keep making as far as baits are concerned and then you can set me up with an injector. I tried vacume but I like the results of the injector better, both work. Your videos filled my head with ideas and inspiration, thank you for that as that gave me hours of fun and enjoyment playing with what you showed me. And I learned a few things too.

Shortly I have a Pike Fishing (my name sake!) trip scheduled to Montana and I have a bag full of designs and colors to try and then I will decide on the most successful.

Later, my friend!

Awesome Pike. I really enjoy using the so far. Someone mentioned the SS Cajun Injector syringe , We tried one and it is chrome plated copper that got very soft upon use. You could not get it cleaned. We left those alone. Pike We will keep you informed on any future updates we are doing as right not we do have a better mouse trap in the works. It is fun thinking outside of the box. If you have any pointers pleafe feel free to let me know. I am always open for suggestions.

Jeremy

No Dent Issue what so ever. To answer your question on what we are doing to avoid them ..............Beats the heck out of me. What is amazing about this mold is it is a 5 cavity mold with one sprue and a runner system inside mold. This mold will hand pour using 1/4 Cup of salt to 2 cups of plastic. This was done with medium plastic and pour wide open with our presto pot and never get a bad bait. The mold gets extremely HOT no dents no imperfections. The plastic is hitting a lot of aluminum in the runner system again no dents no imperfections and then after it is poured you do not have to cut the sprues off . They zip off like a zipper and look like they were cut every time.

If a mold could ever be perfect this one is as close as they can come in my opinion. Super fast 7 seconds to hand pour 5 baits, nothing to unscrew or remove to hold closed. I wish all molds were as efficent as this one is.