Tierce12

Iwata airbrush and Createx paints

Im looking to buy a new gravity feed airbrush specifically an Iwata, but i was wondering which model handled Createx paint the best? I was looking at three different models: Revolution CR, Eclipse HP-CS, and the HP-C Plus. I read a review a guy wrote that said that it was hard to get the Eclipse HP-CS to spray Createx paint consistently. I need an airbrush that will spray Createx because thats all I use. Which is best suitable for Createx? Thanks

The Iwata HP-CS is ideal for Createx paints. The paints will spray very well but you must reduce them accordingly. Thicker, semi-opaque paint must be reduced 20-40% to spray through an airbrush but the transparent colors can be reduced minimally with excellent results.

I have suggested in other threads that Createx users try the new Wicked Colors paints (Also called Auto-Borne). They contain some solvent and spray exceptionally well and also dry faster. Use Auto Air 4011 reducer and you'll love the results. I use them daily. They also have much less tip dry.

How an Iwata sprays a particular viscosity of paint is a function of the tip size. The HP has .2mm tip, the Revolution .3mm and I think most Eclipses are .35mm. I have never had a problem with either the HP or the Revolution spraying Createx paint unthinned. I think anyone who does should check the air pressure they're using or examine the airbrush for damage. Which brush you select is a trade-off. Small tips shoot narrow spray patterns, large tips shoot wider and can spray higher viscosity paints or flake paints. I use a HP-B+ and a Revolution BR. You can do a batch of cranks from basecoat to details (with stencils) with either. If I had only one, it would probably be the HP-B because it's easier to do fine shading with it. It will balk at spraying some paints containing metallic flake (as will any .2mm tip brush). At about half the price, the Revolution is a great value. It has the same high build quality as all Iwatas. So you have good options.

BTW, I don't use the "+" feature, the trigger stop, on my HP so don't see any value in it. Maybe others do, I don't know. The MAC valve is the most recent option added to the Iwata line and is nice but also expensive. An in-line pressure control valve serves the same function and can be used with any airbrush you have. I'm not saying these features are gimmicks, they aren't, but they do add to the cost of an airbrush and I consider them of secondary importance to the basic function of reliably spraying paint. JMHO

Bob and SNAX: Another excellent description of your air brushing experience! Thanks for sharing!

As noted in an earlier post, I also use an Iwata HP-B and love it! I sprayed Wildlife metallic gold through it yesterday with no thinning. I rarely thin Createx opaques b-4 spraying with the HP-B.

I'm anxious to receive my new Eclipse-CS; I expect to be able to base coat multiple baits with it and Cretex pearls.

I was a little quick to praise the far east Iwata HP-c knockoff purchased ~4 months ago; I would be curious to know if others think these ko's compare favorably to the real thing. I would sell my ko cheap plus scribe "Iwata" on it(?).

ken

I have made jigs and spinnerbaits and all kinds of lead baits for years.I have always sprayed them with spray can paints,or used powder paints to paint them. I would like to buy a air brush to start putting a more detailed look to my baits.

Would someone suggest a good starter brush to do this,also what paint should I use to paint lead? I usually coat my baits with a top coat of 2 ton epoxy. I have a big sears air compressor already,would I be ok with that compressor,or better off with a compressor made for air painting?I basicly will use this for shading,and putting eyes on my baits.

Thanks

Your big compressor will work just fine but you need a moisture trap and a pressure regulator to dial it down to 20-40 psi, plus whatever hose adapters necessary to connect everything up. If you order more than $50 from dixieart.com, the shipping is free (if less, their shipping is danged expensive!). Their airbrush prices are generally competitive. I'm not pimping Dixie Art, they are just a good source if you need adapters, airbrushes and paint all at the same time. The adapters I got from them fit better and were more leak-proof than ones I've gotten elsewhere.