RiverMan

New Swimbait Video

After two hours of battling with my windows vista version of movie maker I finally got a video clip done of my latest swimbait. The left and right action of the lure I am doing mostly with the rod tip just to show what the lure is capable of. I hope you guys enjoy it.

jed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFfpxfxsHms

Edited by RiverMan

That's great Jed! It has almost the exact same swimming motion as my Mackerel body. Given that we all share info here and what I learned from you about ballast and lure thickness when I got started it's no wonder.

I love that we are all in this together and that we really do share what are probably considered trade secrets to many. Keep it up my friend.:yay:

Jed,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm sure Vodkaman know why that is the case. There are undoubtedly many vortexes involved. ;)

All my three piece lure swim like a flag whipping in the wind. Head steady, tail wagging like my dog at dinner time.

It's a great action for sinking lures that are pulled up and over structure, and accelerated as they approach the structure. More of a panicked action. I get lots of reaction bites on them.

But that sinuous swim is the best for floaters, and sinkers that are being retrieved slow and steady. I think it's more of a natural feeding action that the bass, and other predators, identify as a real fish.

One of the most successful soft plastic swimbaits, the Huddleston, has just the tail moving on the retrieve though, at any speed, and it is killer. That soft plastic boot tail is the best, period.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Hi Mark......

If you watch a live fish swimming they really don't have all that much body movement unless they are swimming very slowly. At really slow speeds the body movement is an exagerated left to right action much like the swimbait in the video. At high speeds, the body of a live fish is more steady with just the tail going more like a Hudd.

I'm not sure what vortices have to do with the motion but it makes sense that a bait with more joints and therefore more flex will provide a more sinous motion. I have found with my swimbaits that if I want a nice sinous motion at low speeds I need more sections. Three sections look great at medium to high speeds, four or more sections for slow speeds.

I guess mostly I just like the way a more sinuous lure looks in the water.

Jed

Edited by RiverMan