spidergrub6

Need help on micarta lips.

Alright guys, I've got another question. For diving bass cranks I have been using the lexan lips with the line tie molded in from Janns Net Craft, the only problem is that, because they are so thick, when I cut the lip slot the wood tends to chip:(. I thought that using micarta lips would help but can't figure out how to install a line tie. Could someone give me a few pointers. I don't know if you drill one hole for the wire or two and wether you epoxy the wire in place or not. As always thanks for any help.

I assume you're talking about lips with the line tie out on the lip surface. The first consideration is the wire. Large diameter hard temper stainless steel is difficult to bend accurately unless you have the right tools (I don't), and the accuracy of the bends is everything in getting a good line tie. I use soft temper stainless wire from McMaster-Carr (aka safety wire) in .040" diameter because it's easy to bend and works well for this purpose. It also allows easier tuning of the finished crankbait since the wire is easier to bend.

Some guys prefer 2 holes in the lip. I like to twist the wires together into a screw eye and use a single hole. That's easy to do with soft temper stainless or brass wire. Put the 90 deg bend in the screw eye before you install it in the lip. I run the wire to the back of the lip and crimp it over the top of the lip into a small slot cut in the back of the lip. It makes a nice secure package that's easy to install. On some super deep divers where the hole in the lip is relatively far from the nose of the crankbait, I'll run a bead of Devcon 2 Ton epoxy along the wire on the bottom of the lip to anchor it down securely. There are other variations but this way works for me.

Are the plastic lips from Jann's really lexan? I was thinking they are simply plastic.

RE: Line ties in the bill. You might take a look at some of the classic (older baits) to see how the line ties are installed. Bob P.'s description give 2 ways to do it. I personally use the "2-hole" method with annealed stainless steel wire. Don't count on Devcon to produce a good bond on Micarta. I've noticed any torque on the bill or wire and it cracks easily (like tuning the bait). Also, if you unintentionally get some 2T on micarta, you can pop-it off with a razor blade without scratching the Micarta.

ken

Hey thanks for the advice Bob. I had been trying to use spinner shaft wire that was real stiff but I've got some softer stuff that shoud work. I'll probably try your idea with the one hole and folding it over on the back, sounds good. Also is there a reliable method for finding the exact center line on the bill? Or do you just eye ball it with a ruler? Thanks again,