Tony P

Help Me Get Started.

Hello Everyone,

I want try my hand a doing some repaints before I even think about building my own lures. I have plenty of old crankbaits, top water baits, & jerkbaits to play with so I need to know what equipment, paints, epoxies, etc. I need to get myself started. I know the list is probably never ending but you have to start somewhere. I've been going through the same thing with tying flies for the last 15+ years, it got so bad I had to dedicate a whole room to my addiction :sauced:.

Tony P

I suggest you use the forum's SEARCH function to explore the many posts that TU has on the subject. There's lots of info here and it's easy to find.

Bob,

The talent on this board is simply amazing :worship:. I have been searching the forum & there is so much information I could sit hear reading it for a month straight. I realize everyone has personal preferences & does things a little different but I was hoping some of you would tell me, "here are the must have basics that I use & here's why I like them".

Tony P

P.S. I was looking at your gallery & really like your baits :yay:.

Tony,

I started painting three years ago. I started with rattle cans, and found this forum when I was trying to figure out what was making my paint bubble.

I had already made lures that caught fish, but I wanted a better, more durable and colorful system.

Here's what I learned.

Painting is like throwing a baitcaster. Nothing takes the place of practice. And anyone can do it, since I can. ;)

And you'll probably learn more from you own mistakes than from our advice initially.

If you are serious about painting, invest in a decent gravity fed airbrush, compressor, regulator, and water separator. You can find sources for all those things here on the forum.

Buy some airbrush paints, and start.

If you're repainting plastic cranks, sealing and priming won't be an issue.

If you're repainting wood cranks, do a search here for wood sealers, primers, and paints.

After you've tried some things yourself, you'll have a much better idea what everyone here is talking about, and your questions will be easier for us to answer.