atrophius

Lure concept

I had a thought about jigging lures, except using a crankbait type material. I am not sure what other types of lures may be like this one out there, but I wanted to ask you guys about it.

I attached an image of the type of lure I was thinking about. On the line tie end, the lure would have a climbing bevel above the line tie to make it climb up the water column, and on the other end, almost the same type of bevel to make it back up and sink. This lure would be ballasted opposite end of the line tie to sink. This way it would ensure it backs up and sinks.Since I do a lot of shore fishing, I figured this would increase the lure in the water time while jigging it up and down.

I am going to see if I can whip something up and test it this week. Any feedback would be good thanks.

Forgive my MSpaint talents (or lack there of) haha:drool:

@ atrophius

So the angled tail is supposed to lift the tail to help the tail-weighted lure sink horizontal level as falling back to bottom ?

You wrote , that you wanted to increase the time in the water , I figure out , that you want to have your design sink slower than ordinary jiggers ?

And which material do you want to use , you've stated ........ "except using a crankbait type material" ?

I have made jigging lures of wood before , these have an internal pouch cut out , that is filled with molten lead(look closely at picture , the aging has let them show) ,..... to have jigging lures sink slower than usual , I also ground them from solid aluminium(PITA) , also made some of copper tubing , that rise off bottom very fast(but these are better suited to skim the surface targeting one particular fish in Europe) .

The four jigging spoons shown are wood , the two ones are aluminium(have internal plastic jig rattle) , one picture displays that copper tubing lure model .

greetz:yay: , diemai

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

ASPLURE_01.JPG

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0005.JPG

4446_thumb.attach

4447_thumb.attach

4448_thumb.attach

Edited by diemai

I was meaning to make it out of poplar or basswood. The intention is to have a moderate sink rate. The movement I was looking for most likely applies to your tube bait, only that it will have a solid face where the openings of the tube is. If you look where the line tie is on my picture, i am imagining the lure would wobble up like a kite through the water towards the surface. My thought on the ballast is to put it on the belly of the lure as far away from the line tie as I can. I am thinking that with the solid faces on the lure, and the weighting, that the lure would fly up like a kite, and wobble back down away from me.

Imagine an inverted double sided lipless crankbait. The ballasting away from the line tie would give the line tie end more buoyancy and have the lure glide/wobble back almost to where it entered the water(only deeper).

Does that make more sense?

Edited by atrophius

@ atrophius

I can figure out about your goal of design , but I guess , that the weight needs to sit somewhere in center of the lure , not at the tail , since this would not allow it to wobble "like a kite" as you pull it upward .

This tube lure acts like this :

since its made of heavy material , it hangs about 45

It is good that you have a particular swim pattern in mind, this gives you something to aim for.

Go with your gut instincts, but be prepared to experiment with all the parameters of the lure, such as ballast location and size, lip size and shape, eye position, etc.

When experimenting, change only one thing at a time, or you will never learn what change worked. Make notes of the changes and the effect, this way, you will eventually be able to predict a particular result.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed.

Dave