• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarcDavidBaits

TU Supporter

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

I was going to repaint a suspending rogue and I wanted to put the molded 3-D eyes on it. But the eyes are painted on. Can I put the molded eyes on somehow? Do you sand them down until their flat? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Bass Whisperer, 25 April 2009 - 08:11 AM.

#2 silverdoctor

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

I've used a flat bottom tool in my dremel to hog out some relief for the eyes. Could easily mess up though. Have not specifically done this to a rouge.

#3 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

I did the same as Silverdoc. If you drill through to the cavity, you're in trouble, so I suggest using a smaller eye and just making the area for it flat, not recessed.

#4 Predator Bass Baits

Predator Bass Baits

Formerly "tr21x"

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

On some lures I have just cut the bump off with a razor blade.

#5 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,797 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Use a fine file to make a small flat where the eyes go. More control than with a drill.
And if you do file down into the cavity, it will just be in the center, which will be covered by the eye, and so it will be sealed when you top coat the lure. Just put a drop of crazy glue onto the eyes before you top coat.
If you use small eyes, you can just stick them on, put on a drop of crazy glue to make sure they stay put, and epoxy over the whole shebang. Even if the edges of the eyes protrude a little, they won't come off, and they add a little extra turbulence to the bait.
The fish won't care.