jcarman

wrinkled paint when dipping DN

OK, I am trying the dipping method with DN lure coat. The problem I had was that the paint wrinkled pretty bad after dipping. I am using createx and faskolor water based paints. Did I not let the paint dry long enough or what could be the problem.

The areas that didn't wrinkle came out looking very nice, but the wrinkles are a problem...

jc

Did you heat set each color as you sprayed it on the baits?

If you did heat set the paints and you still get the wrinkles then your paint is not compatible with the solvents in the DN.

The solvents are in contact with the paints too long and that causes the wrinkles. You might be able to resolve the problem by spraying a thin layer of DN through your airbrush, and let it cure for a few hours and then dip your bait and hang it to cure. When you spray it it will go on very thin and most of the solvents will evaporate very fast when you atomize it through the airbrush. When I spray the DN I add a few drops of acetone to it in the color cup and swizzle it a couple of times with a wire. It sprays on great.

Are you hanging them to dry or putting them on a lure turner? You'll rarely have wrinkles if you simply hang them to dry so excess DN drips off the tail. When you put them on a lure turner, the rotation can cause DN to collect in a pool somewhere underneath the drying film and that will cause wrinkles. Been there, done that! Also, I thoroughly dry the paint with a hair dryer as I apply each shot of color and let the bait "rest" for a few hours after painting to insure all the moisture has evaporated.

Thanks Bob-

Me, wait for the paint to fully dry? :nuhuh:

I will do that on my next batch. I will heat set each coat and see what happens.

I did follow your previous instructions and dip and let drip dry towards the tail end. It seemed to work well in the places that didn't wrinkle.

I have shot DN before, but the vapors get so bad. I am not really set up to spray volatiles, so I am hoping the heat set thing will work, thanks again for the advice!

jc

Jeff,

This happened a few times to me frustating, I was told by someone on this board to top coat with the createx topcoat gloss then heatset well but be careful not to bubble the finish with the heat. This cured that problem for me, it gives it another layer of protection. I tried spraying DN through my airbrush and it messed up my gun, you have to be real careful about cleaning the gun well, and use a cheap gun to try.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll give it a try. My whole goal here is to increase production by dipping rather than brushing on D2T. While it sounds like a much faster way to top coat, all these little extras you have to do might just be as easy to brush on D2T! :(

I'll give this a try as well. I appreciate the help-

jc