CA Delta

What size hooks?

What would you guys recommend for a swimbait that weighs 5.5 oz & 8" long. The lure is painted rainbow trout. I have had a suggestion, that I should put a larger hook on the front, due to it being spring time??? I do like using the Gamagatsu EWG trebble hooks if that helps. Thanks in advance.:)

Tim

I use 1/0 for 7" and 8", and 3/0 for 10" and up.

Almost all jointed lures that swim really well will have the hooks foul once in a while, so I don't worry about trying to keep them clear of each other like I do when I'm rehooking a crank bait.

But I think the bigger hooks on the bigger bait are needed to make sure that when a big fish clamps down on the bait, the hooks are big enough to make good contact with the inside of the mouth to ensure a good hookset.

If you look at the actual hooksize on a treble, a 1/0 treble is really three 1/0 hooks welded together. The actual bite, the space between the hook shank and the point, isn't really that big. Think of the size hooks you use for flukes and other plastics.

Since the shank of a treble is attached to the middle of the lure's body, I think the point is too close to the lure body on a big bait if I don't use at least a 3/0 treble.

Thanks for the input guys. I will be ordering larger hooks ASAP. I just sent this trout to a local tournament guy & after reading your advice, I got to looking at this picture & the size #1 hooks do look a bit small. Do you guys prefer a long or short shank hook?Thanks Again.

Tim

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

DSC09567 (Small).JPG

4456_thumb.attach