BrownPigs

Best fin material?

12 posts in this topic

I've used the bristles off a high dollar paint brush & also cut out a tail shape from a thick rubber boot. Some guys use fibets, I think these fibets are used to tie flys. Hope that helps.

Tim

Edited by CA Delta

Fibets are really expensive aren't they?

As for the paint brush idea, how do you attach them to the bait? When you cut them off the paint brush don't they go all ever the place?

I take the paint brush ( looking at the thin end) & slide a piece of sand paper between a thin layer of bristles. Once I get a thin even layer, fan out the brisles with your finger & pinch them to the sand paper. Bend the bristles back & insert the blue tape about 2/3 down. Press the brisles firmly down on the tape. You should be able to take the sand paper out & then align another strip of tape, leaving 1/3 revealed. Now cut the paint bristles off & epoxy about 1/8" at the end. I like to use Devcon 30 minute epoxy for this. Hope this helps & good luck.

I learned this technique right here on the one & only TU.

Yes, the fibets are kind of expensive.

Tim

Final step: Once I get to this point I just dip the tail in some 30 min. D2T, just coating the tips. My baits are on the large size, so I hope this will still work for yours.

Tim

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

DSC09612 (Small).JPG

4471_thumb.attach

Edited by CA Delta

Sorry, I've never used soft fins, I just carve their outline and paint them on.

Edited by mark poulson

Forgot to mention attaching the fin. I use a 1/8" wide stone sander on the dremel & carve out a 1/8" deep slot. Then take your 30 min. D2T & lay a thin layer into the slot. Now set your tail into place. If your tail is nice & snug, you shouldn't have to worry about it leaning, during the drying period. You may need to fill in some voided areas with epoxy, after it sets up.

Tim

Edited by CA Delta

Great idea Tim, simple and effective - Maybe this should be in 'Home Brew Tools' or a 'Tutorial', otherwise in six months it will be lost.pete

B.P. Your very welcome, anytime. I originally got the idea from John Hopkins, & then saw someone here post some pics of basically the same method, can't remember who it was though.

Pete, I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

Tim