Mart

Skipping surface lure

heres a design i came up with not sure if its been done by any large lure companys or not, but my train of thought was to have the nose radius'd so it planes up like a boat then scallop the middle out forcing water underneath and down the centre of the lure.

on a retrieve with gentle taps the lure works in an arc type motion sticking its nose out or on a sharper tap it skips out of the water like a bait fish tryin to evade being eaten.

hope my pictures might give a better explanation than my wording, i've used this on a couple of surface lures so far the other incorporates a grub tail causing it to create a nice wake behind the lure on a stright retrieve.

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

have a crack at making one its not hard that one was made from a handbrush handle, just scallop the under nose bit out so your thumb sits nicely in it ;)

my mate saw it and asked for one making straight away for his sea bassing, i've made the others out of beech which i find is nice to work with just stay nice and square/blocky at the nose and file it tapering into a nice round profile to the rear :yes:

@ Mart

Great design , I like it quite a bit :yes::yes:!

I am also fond of creating a "little out of the box" lures , and sometimes one or another design would prove success , most likely:lol: !

By "arc type motion" do you mean , that it "walks-the-dog" ?

Any weights in its belly ?

greetz:yay: , diemai

no not in a "walk the dog" style in a forwards and upwards motion, like a speedbaot aquaplanes but it lifts up higher so it goes from horizontal upto about 45-60 degrees ish depending how fast you work it.

it will also dive to about 6" on a stright retrieve and rock from side to side

i didn't bother weighting it with it being quite a flat profile and about an inch thich it sits quite nicely anyway with just a couple of size 2 eagle claws fitted

Edited by Mart

@ Mart

Oh , I see ,.... so rather an upward arc movement,.......guess , that I can clearly imagine it now:yes: !

And it still dives a little on straight retrieve..............sounds like a pike killer in calm waters to me......this is exactly , what I would call a "skim and swim" action(term after an old American lure book) , which can be extremely successful on pike !

I have made a few lure models(knock-offs) with such action (topwater AND a few inches below) , a constant mixture of the lure's possibilities during one retrieve brings in the goodies !

Guess , that your design is another one on my "need-to-try" list ,.... if I'd figured out about your describtion correctly , it would surely produce some warm season topwater pike !

Thanks a lot for your input and info:worship: !

greetz:yay: , diemai