Thad

Brushing DN on HOK?

Well I tried brushing DN on a couple cranks painted with HOK. As I was brushing it on it started to wipe my paint off. Like it was acetone or something. You guys have this problem?

Am I just brushing to hard? Should I top coat with something like createx clear first before brushing?

I don't use HOK, but regularly use various other brands of acrylic paint without problems. The solvent in DN is pretty active stuff so you want to get it on the lure with minimal brushing and get it started flashing off without delay. You also want the paint to be absolutely dry. It helps to heat dry the paint with a hair dryer so it "cures" before clearcoating.

Thad, the HOK intercoat clear should do it as suggested. Dick Nites is a moisture cured urethane, there is also an acid cured urethane used for hardwood floors but it is not as resistant to water. A question I would have is why not stay in a system designed and enginered to work together and shoot an automotive clear. It is a two part system designed to stand a lot of abuse from stone chips, car washes and climate changes. It will spray from an airbrush and you can build up several coats in minutes and it can be handled in a pretty short period of time. I am asuming you have a spray booth since you are spraying urethane paints. Not having a booth would be a draw back for sure. I have been running Muskie baits for years cleared that way and have been using it myself for two years. I use two part automotive epoxy sealer, urethane paints, and automotive clear with out a failure. I know hobby and pro builders here in Michigan that use Dick Nites with great sucess and they are spraying it over Laquer based taxidermy paints.