muskyswab

how would i fill the deep grain of oak?

Swab,

I was thinking we could try sealing our lures with epoxy or propionate. That might leave the surface smooth, with no pesky grain to worry about. Or, you could fill the grain with wood putty, but that might be a pain. I'm willing to try the propionate idea, i just need to get some Acetone first.

and BTW, i'm going to order the Devcon tonight.

Make the prop quite thin and watery. This will allow the prop to penetrate. Let the first coat soak in the prop for 5 - ten minutes and give it a few hours to dry. Then sand, to remove some of the raised grain. Sand across the grain and NOT along the grain, or you will just make it worse. Use 150 grit for this job, the body does not need to have a polished finish, the rest of the dipped coats will take care of the finish.

After the first dip and sanding, 5 or 6 additional dips (no soaking) should be sufficient, may be 10 mins between dips. I am new to prop, but this is what seemed to work for me. If I am wrong, then please say so.

Dave

if you don't want to use devcon or etex i have had good luck with mini wax wood hardener. it's very thin and runny. u can easily apply it with a small paint brush. i've used it on a few of my baits and had no problems yet. u can get it at home depot i know for sure but i am sure that most hardware stores would have it