drcrankenstein

Air Compressors

Hope this is not a stupid question. Everyone on this site is obviously more expierenced than I. My question is what size compressor do I need to START painting my own crankbaits? I started with the canned air and have found that it has become more costly than what i'm getting out of it. Please help.

Any compressor that puts out 50lbs of air pressure will work, but if you buy one that puts out more pressure with at least a one gallon tank, you won't be disappointed. The bigger the better (now where have I heard that before? :lol:) Having the tank at higher pressure means you'll have more air available before the compressor cycles to replenish the air. Having a good reservoir of pressurized air is the key to being able to paint smoothly, without interruption, and with enough air pressure ( I spray at 35psi) to move the paint and avoid clogging.

A good water separater and pressure regulator are important, and so is thinning your paint so it sprays well. Try to keep it the consistency of milk.

A lot of that stuff you'll pick up when you start to spray.

Good luck.

I am also a newbie at this airbrushing thing and am using canned air. I agree that it's probably more cost effective to buy the compressor but am scared of the ennitial cost:eek:. If bigger is better why do most compressors labeled airbrush specific only put out around 30 psi? Also, do you have to buy tons of other accesories such as humidity filters in order to be able to spray well? Kinda gettin' worried about the cost that is going into this hobby:(. Maybe I should take up something cheaper such as stock car racing:wink:

For a couple more dollars than an air brush compressor you can get a one with a 2-5 gallon tank and run air tools like die grinders and have more air for airbrushing than you'll ever need.

If you dont have the cash for a compressor you could always just get a portable tank for tires and such. Then fill it at a gas station with FREE AIR

I dont know how long a portable tank would last though.On my compressor if I fill up the two gallon tank ay 120 P.S.I. then shut it off I believe I could paint 2-3 lures of the same pattern .

If you do a search here for compressors, you'll get more info than you can imagine, including the cheapest place to buy them (Harbor Frieght), what pressures you need to paint, and how to construct a well ventilated spray booth.

If you can swing it, do your painting in a garage or shop, with the doors open, and a fan behind you. And wear a dust mask. Even water based paints put fine particles into the air that are not good to breath.

I use an airbrush compressor that outputs 40 psi with the airbrush running. Most airbrush compressors work at about 15 psi less than their maximum pressure, which is the number the manufacturers advertise. For instance, a 30 psi compressor will only put out 15 psi pressure with the airbrush running. You want at least 30 psi working pressure so I'd look for airbrush compressors advertising at least 45-60 psi. If noise is not a big deal (few compressors of any type are quiet) and I had it to do over, I'd buy a small shop compressor with a 2-5 gal air tank that generates 100-120 psi. Slap on a pressure regulator, psi gauge, and water trap and you're in business.

And you can use the same compressor to fill the tires on wifey's car, drive nails, spray paint, etc.

Edited by BobP