kevtherev

Broken foot on Ambassadeur

I broke the foot off the frame of a 5500C. It seems to be brass that was brazed on so welding is a bust. Any suggestions for repair? I was thinking of driling and tapping the reel frame and coming from underneath with machine screws as an option to having it brazed back together. Thanks.

kevtherev

Parts for these, and most ABU reels are cheap and readily available (even here). One of the great things about ABU is that a lot of parts are interchangable, and I would think most reel seats would be the same for all this series of reels, generally the only thing ddifferent is the spools and the end plate spacers - maybe your local tackle shop would have a few parts from old/damaged reels.pete

Edited by hazmail
edit text

Kev, I guess you have nothing to lose but I've seldom heard of a broken reel foot being satisfactorily repaired. Can you depend on it to stay pegged in the future? Personally, I'd buy a new 5500 and save the broken one for parts.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Over the weekend I went through some old fishing gear and found a retired 5000C and the frame was the same so I used that one. Reel Doctor, did the silver solder job hold up on your repaired frame? If so I will try that for the still broken frame I have.

Kevin