- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 clyde

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

i am wanting to try some painting, but i am having trouble finding a materail to make them out of. what do some of you guys use for making them?

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

I bought a roll of frisket material. It's a thin transparent plastic film with a peel and stick paper backing. About 10 bucks gets enough to last almost forever. The nice thing about frisket is it's purpose-designed for making stencils. Draw the design on the paper backing and it cuts out easily with an Xacto knife. Tip - leave on the paper backing. Flip it over to do the other side of the bait and then save the stencil for future baits.

#3 wetflyguy

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the tip ,I have been fooling around with differant papers.

#4 Lure--Prof

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

At hobby and craft stores everywhere, look for clear plastic stencil making material made by Plaid. It cuts best with a stencil cutter, the same basic tool as a woodburning pen with a purpose built tip; and there are tools available which do both simply by changing tips. The advantages to clear plastic stencils are that they last indefinitely; being clear they allow for exact placement; and when using waterbase paints they can be wiped off with a damp rag. Other scrap plastics work also, and often have ready-made slits and holes. Perfect holes can be made with hole punches in these this plastics too. Also look for common items from combs to fly-swatters to give you some ready-made unique patterns.

And if you get real serious about making permanent form-fitting stencils, follow the directions in this excellent tutorial posted by Birdman. http://www.tackleund...lk-cartons.html