onelastcast

Paint & Air Brushes?

Hey guys im very new to this forum looks the goods.

Im 17 live in Australia and very keen in making lures.

Just wondering what paints are the best, I did do some shopping and they said acylics are not good but enamels are better. I will be coating the final finish in a clear gloss to protect it but is there a certain way to go or dosnt it matter? I dont see how it does only maybe with doing layers. I will be using it in freshwater.

I am also interested in a airbrush is a 3mm diameter, 7cc cup capacity and a double action control airbrush good for lure painting with 15-50psi.

I am after to do a little bit of fine painting with it.

Any help would be good thanks :yay:

Automotive acrylic's easiest to use,water based acrylics safest(auto-air) to use but take a bit to get the hang of and will still require some kind of clearing system ,like an an automotive clear.Stay away from the 2 pack .Make sure you use a proper Paint Spray Respirator

Do a search on this site for air brush paints. There's a ton of info here.

I'm guessing getting stuff off the internet will be expensive for you in Australia, because of shipping.

If you can, stop by a shop that paints and sells T shirts, and find out what they use and where they get it. They usually use the same water based, heat set paints we use.

For solvent based paints, a shop that does fingernails will be a good source. They use air brushes, too.

Whatever you wind up using, a good respirator and good ventilation are a must.

As for clear coating, there are a lot of options. Epoxies, clear acrylics, propionate (disolved plastic), those are a few.

The most critical thing in making wood lures is getting the wood properly sealed before you start your painting. Water is always going to find it's way past the clear coat, and it will swell the wood and lift the finish off the lure. If you seal the wood well, the water can't be absorbed, so a nick in the finish isn't fatal.

Sealing the wood is another search you should do here.

Good luck.

Edited by mark poulson