swimbait7

How to connect a swimbait

Three methods of hinging that have been discussed in the past are:

Material hinges, such as kevlar. But I suspect a lot more materials could be usable.

Chord, I have thought about this one, but not got around to trying it yet.

seven strand wire.

The main problem is keeping the top coat out of the hinge material. The construction is not that difficult to figure out, the material is a sandwich, the chord and seven strand wire can either be drilled holes or molded.

Dave

I only make smaller swimmers but for my baits I just use two eye screw hook hangers that are interlocked. For bigger baits I have seen that guys use four eyescrews (check out the white knuckle swimbaits) two closed eye in one section and two open eye in the other and then interlock and close the eyes with pliers. Of course screw eyes are not going to be near as smooth as other hinges but it's easy and it works alright. good luck:yay:

As Dave says there are a lot of hinges, Diemai has his S/S 'butt hinges' he is working on, I have Poly 'butt hinges' I'm playing with, there are "Concealed Pin' hinges, 'Loop Hinges', and I have been mucking around with a S/S wire hinge (DNA Hinge). I make a smaller 'swimbait' (3 - 4") the 'screw eyes' are too big and take up 20% of a lure's length, they work O.K but don't look too good. I have used S/S leader for a hinge, but doubt weather it will last with all the back and forth twisting, and will probably eventually break (still ok).- Stainless Steel 'work hardens' so the more work the wire does the shorter the life.

As Dave says, for smaller swimbait, a cloth hinge is the great unexplored area, just a matter of finding a cloth strong enough. I have a cloth hinge in mind (flanelette shirt), but I am waiting to get home and test a couple of othersI have recently made, before comitting even more time to another hinge type.

SOOOOOOO depends what size you are making, but the screw eye has been around for years and works well, and if you are making big lures this would be where to start. pete

I'd suggest you go with a tried and true, and simple, hinging system, until you've become more proficient in swim bait making.

Screw eyes are the simplist system, easy to install and adjust.

A struggle with the hinges can frustrate anyone enough to quit, and then you'd be spared the torture the rest of us go through. :lol:

Also, don't be thinking that hinges have been exhausted. I am currently testing a new idea, soon to be posted. You need to use your imagination. In all fields of lure design, so much yet to be discovered.

Dave

Dave you have me wondering now.:popcorn:

Me too- it's become an obsession, I have been away from home for about four weeks fishing but the weather has not been too kind to me, so have been sitting around thinking of hinges - I must be really getting old as it used to be women !!!.

I too have a few new ideas to test out, when in a few days I will be back in 'the shed'.pete

Edited by hazmail
edit text

Connect two cotter pins end to end drill your holes evenly across from each other. at the beginning of the drilled holes enlarge the hole so that the eye of the pin can go deeper if you wish to have less of a gap and for play. i kind of take cutters and score the pins and bend one end up so chances of the epoxy will help hold them in place. other than that glue a bike intertube between sandwich boards drill throughthe side and screw some screws to secure the peices together even more. if that is'nt inginuity i dont know what to say. my secrete is now everybodys, new thought! :drool: