jdibala

Painting with nail polish?

I just made my first baits out of wood, I sealed them with sanding sealant and now I want to paint them but I dont want to go out and buy a bunch of paint. So I was wondering what you guys thought about painting them with nail polish. A sparkly silver, to imitate a shad. Also, I put two coats of the sanding sealer on the baits, but I only sanded them after the first coat. Should I sand them again before I paint?

Thanks,

John

I'd sand again. First, a smooth surface makes for a smooth finish. Second, a sanded surface makes for better finish adhesion. Nail polish? Sure, why not - but it has to be more expensive than paint! And it's pretty thick; you might want to thin it down just a little with solvent and use an artist's brush to apply it, to get a finish without brush strokes.

Well, one is painted...looks kinda funny. But with only a piece of wood, wire, knife, sandpaper, needle nose pliers, sealant, and various colors of nail polish, what can you expect. I'm going to take it out in a couple hours to see how it works, or if it works.

Thanks for the help, I'll have a lot more questions if I decide make a couple more.

I use cheap 99 cent nail polish to add glitter to crankbaits. I've found you have to be careful not to let the nail polished bait tough any plastic worms, or it will soften and get sticky.

Also, I would do a test before I clear coated the nail polish with any epoxy or DN, to see if the solvents in either will melt the nail polish.

........go for it! Nail polish makes great paint, I've got tons of it sitting around. I pick it up at yard sales for next to nothing and the colors are endless. I've found some of the best "bloody" reds on the planet for gills etc. Heres one from my gallery pics Tackleunderground Home - Luremakers Photo Gallery - Hand Carved Slow Sinker

Good luck and post up some pics for us.

Carve on,

daymon