clemmy

Anyone still have that lure flash data?

Hey All,

I don't know if any recall, but someone had posted a few years back about research being done by a friend on the flash or glare given off by baitfish compared to lures. I think it was glare factor? Anyways, I don't have that info anymore due to a hard drive crash a year or so ago, and I think it's been lost in the TU crash as well. I think it got a mention in passing in one of the magazines, but there was a link to the full info as well..

Anyone happen to have a copy or link? Even if link no longer works?

Thanks!

Craig

Hello,

Still looking for the info, but have some more that might help some recall. The info was from a Warren Zaren, about the end of '06. (Red, was this when the TU data was lost?) A member here published the complete data (or a link to it). A little blurb in In Fishermans Science column mentioned it back the. He used a "gloss meter" device to measure light reflectivity of some baitfish, then measured several common lure's reflectivity. I found this additional info after lots of searching on Google, as Mr. Zaren gave several talks on his finding, one to Muskies Inc. and once more to a Wisc. Fishing club. Any of our Wisconson members recall Mr. Zaren, that I might email him for the info?

Thanks,

Clemmy

Clemmy, I could not find the article, but found several references. One mag that published the article was 'IN-FISHERMAN', reference link:

Excellent article about lure reflection by Warren Zaren...

Do you belong to a Fishing Club?

Lake-Link: Beyond The Water - Fishing Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota!

Wisconsin Fishing Club Limited

In-Fisherman

If you ever find the article, could you send me a copy.

Dave

Me too, me too.....

Seriously, that sounds like a really fascinating study.

Anyone who's ever looked down at a ball of bait in the water has seen how bait fish can become "invisible" just by turning in one direction, and then be blindingly (is that a word?) bright when they turn in another.

That's why I try and use Wasco irridescent paint somewhere on all my lures.

Makes 'em harder to photograph, but they really turn off and on in the water.