tackleberry

Need Advice: Paint & Primer

I know that most would tell me to use an airbrush to paint onto a hard plastic bait (crainkbait), but I am looking to use markers. My son is really too young to use paintbrushes because he would have paint everywhere. I want to make a couple baits with my son and he can't use an airbrush and neither can I.

I tried using the rustoleum plastic primer and some washable markers and it did not work well. The marker ink would streak and just sit on top of the primer and not soak in.

Perhaps some dads out there have experienced this issue and could give me some advice. Can any of you tell me what type of primer and markers could work, without spending a fortune and getting my son high on fumes.

Thanks

If rubbing down the primer with 600 grit does not work, then maybe a chalky type paint over or instead of the primer. Something like household emulsion paint.

It is a great idea involving the kids and I'm sure someone will come up with a good solution for you.

Dave

Most of the baits I have made are not of super detail like the airbrush ones. But the stuff I use is totally safe to use indoors and water based. I got this quart of behr primer sealer for priming from Home depot to dip the baits in. It is exterior grade and leaves a nice white base to paint on. For detail I use a combination of brushed on acrylics and poster paints. They are both water soluble and non-toxic. The poster paints are kind of neat because it is like a "Candy" paint. They are semi translucent. As far as topcoat, Etex is what I use, and that has seemed to work ok for me.

how old is your son? Crayola has many different painting options for kids. My son was painting baits at about age 3 or 4 and was useing paints from crayola. Let dry and heat set and its fun for them. When they are that young you just have to learn to live with the mess they make, just put down some paper and let them have fun. When you buy crayola paints they can use it for there own art work also on paper, I must have a 100 pics or so saved that he has painted me.

he is 7 now and just won a art prize (best in the school) and his art was displayed at the charleston civic center a while back.

I will add, you can even get one of those multi-color packs of the poster paints or acrylic paints at wal-mart. I have etexed over those and they work ok. They dont stick to foil super though. Any kind of non-toxic/washable marker isnt going to stay very well. Good Luck with it though.