crazywade

lipless lures,not much action?

hi guys i just made these guys and tried them in the tub,these guys have some bb's in them to rattle, probably too heavy the one on the bottom goes right to the bottom of the tub fast,the top one goes down but a little slower, have to get them to the lake and try them out. glad i have something to do until spring.top coat is crystal sheen. they don't seem to have much actioni guess i should stick some lips on them? Anybody want to share how they test lures when a lake isn't available? Our lakes are pretty hard this time of year. ?

lipless.jpg

lipless.jpg

lipless.jpg

lipless.jpg

lipless.jpg

lipless.jpg

lipless.jpg

lipless.jpg

361_thumb.attach

Real Nice LOOKING Lures and a GREAT Paint Job! I think I want to next take a shot at making some Rattle Traps. You did a good job!

First off Im new to the Lure making part of this and learning quite a lot here. I have been Bass Fishing for some time though. So dont take my help to heart.

IMHO I believe the biggest thing for a Rattle Trap is the Placement of the screw eye for the line tie. I think that since its a lipless bait, the placement of that screw eye is critical. I believe that your line tie is a little to far forward and that will impede on the lures action. All the Rattle Traps that I have, the line tie screw eye is BEHIND THE EYE A LITTLE BIT. Kind of more on the top of the lure I would say, BUT NOT THE VERY TOP... BEFORE IT! This will get the bait down and also get the water flowing over the top of it as well. That is what will work the action of the bait better. It will flow OVER THE TOP, and then over the sides and thats what gives it the side to side wobble. This lure when cranked will run NOSE DOWN, because of where the line tie is. As far as adding lips go..??? I cant answer that. As far as the weight goes... most of the rattle traps I have, I have the floaters. But then again, the weight of them could be right, the weight can get them down in the water better but they just need better action from the line tie. If I were you, I would do a couple more JUST LIKE THAT with a Higher up Line tie..... and then give em all a go in the Spring Time. You never know... they could work perfect on the lake and not in your bathtub. What the Heck, Im having a blast making these lures anyway... and I got 4 inches of SNOW coming tommorrow! Im not getting out to a Lake anytime soon except to stand on the ice! LOL! Cody

yup, judging by the quarter in the photo (approx 1" dia.) you wanna move that line tie back at least 1/2 an inch.

Take a look at the shad bodies in the tackle supply shop (here) you'll see the line ties are just forward of the mid back. These type of baits will run "head down" but its a great lure style.

shaping the lure to have a "flat head" forward of the line tie will also give water resistance & help the lure's action, like a lip does.

Good luck Wade.

Thanks for the tips, i'm going to start on a couple more tonight, i'll put the eyes farther back and flaten the nose out on one of them. Thanks again. Red-g8r do the ones on the tackle shop float? Are you thinking about carring some lips, maybe the ones with the tie-on's molded in. Cody there talking about some snow here to, spring can't come to quick.

:D Hey Crazy Wade, I caught your website. You have some nice stuff going on in there. Good job!

I am up here in Pennsylvania.. about 45 mins N.E. of Philly.... AND PLEASE DONT MENTION THOSE STINKIN EAGLES TO ME! LOL. It is so hard being a sports fan here in Philly! :huh:

We have a big outdoor show going on up here this weekend and I attended. It was my first outdoor show I ever attended and I was so excited!! and Naked women werent involved.. (OOPS did I say That? :D ) But Jay Yelas gave a seminar on Jig & Piggin... even he busted on the Eagles AND the weather. He rubbed it in that he flew in from 70 degree Florida weather!!

Oh well the snow is holding off till tonite around 10:00 and between then and Tuesday Morning... We will end up with orund 6 to 10 inches!

Oh well, I got some lures to coat, and some more to carve..... LETS GO SPRING!! Cody

Thanks for the tips, i'm going to start on a couple more tonight, i'll put the eyes farther back and flaten the nose out on one of them. Thanks again. Red-g8r do the ones on the tackle shop float? Are you thinking about carring some lips, maybe the ones with the tie-on's molded in. Cody there talking about some snow here to, spring can't come to quick.

uh-uh, the shad bodies dont float they have internal rattles that help weight em & make noise.

Yeah we can get those lips, keep an eye on the shop to see if/when we get em.

thanks

Lipless cranks dont have much action at all.

you will usually only hear or feel the vibration if you crank them in extreamly fast. there are a few ways to fish these.

1. burn them in with a 6.2:1 reel and reeling as fast as your hand can go. believe it or not fish will slamm them.

2 steady retrieve with a few fast turns of the reel everyonce in a while.

3. drop them verticle below the boat and jig them like a spoon.

if you bought the ones from the store they work great, you will have to tune them buy trning the line eye to the right or left.

I bought a bunch and have no problems with them they do rattle at a high speed retrieve.

one thing you can do is if you want a slow retieve with more vibration is to take a dreamle tool and cut a divit in the head just before the line eye and make it half the length and as deep as you cant. this will cause the lure to vibrate more.

Nice paint job .

A bathtube or swimming pool wont work to test a rattle trap type bait due to you dont get enough line out.

Delw