PrestonS

Off Shore Trolling Head

I am attempting to make some off shore trolling lures with molded heads and synthetic skirts. There needs to be a hole in the lure head that I can run a leader through. Will I be able to remove a 1/8" steel rod from a Alumilite Super Plastic head or should I use brass tubing and leave it in place? The head will not be longer than 4" in length. I would prefer to remove the rod because the end result would be prettier and if i needed to turn it on a lathe I could foresee problems with brass tubing. Thanks

I would look into release agents for plastic molding. A rod might look smooth but you may damage the baits trying to pull that thing out. I have heard a light coating of vaseline could help as a release. maybe some of the other guys might have some better suggestions, but from what I have read on the stuff, I would use a release agent to be sure.

what I use is a pill bottle. Drill a hole so the brass tubbing can go threw.I like Clear Resin and can be found in art stores. Also get some hardner. If you need it weighted use an egg sinker. Drill the hole bigger so the tubbing and slip threw it. Mak any colors you want. I like to use glitter.

If you are turning them on a lathe I would just drill the hole using the lathe I have a buddy in florida that uses spice bottles to mold the head because it has a built in groove to hold the skirt I believe he sometimes paints the inside of a clear bottle and then fills it with resin leaving the bottle in place to act as a clear coat good luck I would also look at turning down some clear or colored plastic round stock either way you will be saving a ton of money those big trolling lures are expensive

I am attempting to make some off shore trolling lures with molded heads and synthetic skirts. There needs to be a hole in the lure head that I can run a leader through. Will I be able to remove a 1/8" steel rod from a Alumilite Super Plastic head or should I use brass tubing and leave it in place? The head will not be longer than 4" in length. I would prefer to remove the rod because the end result would be prettier and if i needed to turn it on a lathe I could foresee problems with brass tubing. Thanks

Her's a link to to THE premier Off Shore Trolling Lure maker. I was there and I must say I ws impredssed. Everything is the place is hand crafted on site. Their Trolling heads are balanced to run true. They are cast in silicone.

Black