what has more effect on action lip size shape or angle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigbass101

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

like the title says. im trying to build a wake bait like an ms slammer but with a trout/fish shape body and im getting more roll than side to side movement

ill post a pic ass soon as i can

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Big Bass

Water has the same principles as air. The shape of an airplane wing controls lift, drop and drag. So the answer is probably all the above. Having a lip just slightly out of kilter may affect a lot of movement or lack there of. I know that really doesn't help much much in solving your dilemna. :twocents:

#3 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

IMO, for wakebaits, the lip angle is most important. You want it almost vertical, about 85 degrees. When prototyping, I've built it with a lip I knew was longer than eventually would be needed, then taken along a pair of metal snips and shortened it progressively until I got the swim action I wanted. Take a look on line at commercial wakebaits (many of which undergo extensive testing) and you'll get an idea of the ball park size - the lip usually doesn't need to be very large unless you are trying to compensate for "less than optimal" segmentation or ballasting.

#4 atrophius

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

You might want to look at some ballast options also. That coupled with the size of the lip could cause roll I am imagining. I learned this one from making a small minnow crankbait. The lip was at a decent angle, but there was not enough weight in the belly to counteract the resistance of the water against the lip. So it pulled on its side. 2 small weights on each side of the hook hanger did it for me. You could try and tape some weights on the belly and test it again.