bigbass101

what has more effect on action lip size shape or angle

Big Bass

Water has the same principles as air. The shape of an airplane wing controls lift, drop and drag. So the answer is probably all the above. Having a lip just slightly out of kilter may affect a lot of movement or lack there of. I know that really doesn't help much much in solving your dilemna. :twocents:

IMO, for wakebaits, the lip angle is most important. You want it almost vertical, about 85 degrees. When prototyping, I've built it with a lip I knew was longer than eventually would be needed, then taken along a pair of metal snips and shortened it progressively until I got the swim action I wanted. Take a look on line at commercial wakebaits (many of which undergo extensive testing) and you'll get an idea of the ball park size - the lip usually doesn't need to be very large unless you are trying to compensate for "less than optimal" segmentation or ballasting.

You might want to look at some ballast options also. That coupled with the size of the lip could cause roll I am imagining. I learned this one from making a small minnow crankbait. The lip was at a decent angle, but there was not enough weight in the belly to counteract the resistance of the water against the lip. So it pulled on its side. 2 small weights on each side of the hook hanger did it for me. You could try and tape some weights on the belly and test it again.