ROWINGADUBAY

Tire inner tube for swim baits

About 18 years ago there was a guy at the milwaukee sports show that was selling swim baits with three sections most of them were pearch pattern he had a tank set up and would demo them there me and my buddie both bought one for about eight bucks wich was alot for a twelve year old

Anyway the point is instead of hinges it was pieced together with one stip of rubber like a inner tube with a piece sticking out cut in a V for the tail wich held up great my friend tested it on a fourty inch muskie that happened to bite while news paper reporter was talking to him

one front page and 18 years later and I still hear about it :nuhuh:

I'm not sure how it was body was held to the rubber

I hope this helps the swim bait guys

if anybody knows this guy give a shout I would like to get another one or dozen

Sniffer- sounds like a good idea, but I think the rubber might have perished a bit by now!!!!The Muskie must have thought he had a mouth full of gum.!!

He may have used NEW condoms, they say they were pretty thick in the old days:eek:

I fear Dave (V/M), and I may be working on a similar idea.pete

Edited by hazmail

hmmmm sounds like a flash back from........... a post ..oh i think i may have mentioned... amazing.. how to connect a swimbait..? oh that's right.:lolhuh: Try the Red rubber gasket material in aisle 11 it has material webed inside.:whistle:

The idea is obviously not new, but it is a good one. I have experimented with this type of application and it indeed works well. It is a difficult lure to produce, but the action is very fluid. I have a concept bait that I played around with a while back, and decided to top shelf it until right time had come. It was developed with a kevlar strip, threw a three piece lure. Worked great, and swam well, but the issues with the epoxy getting into the fibbers, or compromising the linear strength was an issue at the time. I have talked to many Kevlar manufactures and have tested out many different materials, and am still confidant that it will have it's time and place in the market here soon. By the way, Hazmail is right, and rubber or plastic material will indeed go bad in time, or dry out and crack!

LILI Man!

Edited by Lili Man

I just posted pictures (in the gallery under hardbaits) of my new swimbaits that I designed for Bass Pro Shops. The are very similar to what you guys are talking about. They have 8 segments with a material similar to Kevlar as the hinges. I turned in these baits almost 2 years ago and they are just now getting them on the market. It really does take that long. I have 5 more different baits that should be out in the next year. They call these swimbaits ZR9 swimbaits

I made a few baits a couple years ago that had both rubber and Kevlar fabric for "hinges" on swimbaits and for articulated segments of crankbaits.

On big fish( 50"+), both innertube and Kevlar fabric rip vertically. The Kevlar gets degraded pretty fast. I have also tried a thicker MIL. vinyl sheeting and that too will rip length wise.I have caught some nice fish (up 52") on these lures,but after one nice fish- all of them were toast! I have lost a couple of really nice Muskies due to the above materials failing as well.

I am not saying that someone could not find a way to make it work- it just did not fit the application I was looking for. Thought I would save some heartbreak;)

Also- I believe the guy at the Milwaukee sports show was the "Rat Man" . :)

Joe

Trueglide

I am currently trying out 'velcro' backing, with the fuzz shaved off, it's nice and rigid, and strong. I think if we could come up with some sort of ribbon/strap it would be ideal. The set up in the lure body, is the easiest of all I have tried, just glue, lay it on in length, fit top segments and clamp .

Also thinking THIN vulcanised rubber strap would be good, maybe this is what they used in the lures 'Paintsniffer' is talking about?? just need to find some old rubber sandals.

And NO 'Croc' strap is no good. pete

What about the straps that are used on a boat trailer winch? That stuff is tough! Maybe it is too thick though? Just thinking.

Jed

Already done it and it is too stiff Jed. Honestly the hinges that seem to work best are the double screw eyes with a pin running between them. Very little friction too.