sinyo

mixing epoxy glue with cigarete's ash

12 posts in this topic

my old friend said that would make the glue more bond with the wood...:?

anyone have experienced with that???please share

thx

sinyo

@ sinyo

Never heard of such before:nuhuh: ,.......maybe to create a kind of putty to fill up little holes in the wood:? ?

I sometimes do this , but mix with the tiny woodchips from my lathe ,.......filling up the weight holes in my lures this way .

greetz, diemai:yay:

No, I don't think it helps. Epoxy has the best adhesion when nothing is added to it.

When I was reading up on boat building I heard many people mix regular flour for making fillets to cover up imperfections on joints and filling holes the collor match to pine or fir was unbelieveable. good luck!!!!

Like Diemai, I have mixed fine sawdust from my band saw for filling holes. It becomes more of a putty and isn't nearly as sticky after doing this. So, I would not trust it anywhere I needed strength.

John

In UK, cigarette ash is more expensive than the epoxy! Rp94,000 for pack of Marlborough.

Dave

9 bucks a pack - WOW.

I remember people in the USA saying " If they hit a dollar, I'm quitting!". I think they were about 2 bucks a pack when I quit.

@ Smallie

Smokers , drinkers and drivers are keepin' the system goin' :lol:, .....at least over here !

greetz:yay: , diemai

@smallie: I'm glad u know Indonesian currency rate:yes:

back to topic:

I've tried it..

1. I mix the ashes with 5minute epoxy 0,5:1:1 ..total disaster:o (become hard before I can applied it on wood)
  2. 1st I mix epoxy like usual and applied it on wood...then I poured the ashes on the epoxy surface, it's become hard really fast, but I think it's only on surface:?

about the strength : untested

sinyo

Edited by sinyo

Sinyo, that is very interesting. When you poured the ashes on the epoxy after putting it on wood was it the 5 min epoxy or the 30 minute epoxy? Also what did it do to the surface texture?

John

Cigarette ashes mixed with epoxy.....Sounds like that would be a smokin' lure:flame::eek:

5 min epoxy or the 30 minute epoxy? Also what did it do to the surface texture?

John

still 5 min epoxy...the texture smoother than normal

save lil' time for sanding :)

ps: I used b/w 5 min epoxy not clear epoxy