Ric670

Adding Rattles to balsa lures

I think Vodkaman posted a picture of a can rattle made from brass tubing it worked great for me, you can also buy the glass rattles for rubber tube baits from bass pro shop they also work but not as loud as the cans. I also hollowed out a cavity in a cut in half basswood bait and just put the steel shot in the cavity and sealed it up. ;)

Tim

I use gorilla glue it is waterproof, the stuff does expand when setting up. I carve grooves in both sides of wood put glue on both sides and clamp together overnight. Most of the expanding glue can be cleaned off with a razorblade, than sanded. I have also used 2 ton epoxy to glue back together, but I wont use the five min stuff because that says water resistant not waterproof. This may all be overkill since top coat will seal it anyways but I just like to be sure. I have also drilled and inserted rattles then plug holes but in my opinion it is easier to clean up the seam on the half bait rather then the hole.

Also while the bait is in half it is a good time to put the ballast where you want it.

:) Tim

REPRINT

Here's an alternative to glass rattles. It looks like a .22 brass shell but is designed for wooden lures. Drill a 13/16 hole (using a depth guage for starters on the drill press) make a jig to hold your bait on its side, idrill hole as square as possible to the bait, nsert a regular 4.5mm BB followed by the shell and you're done.

You can leave the blunt end of the shell flush with the bait or countersink it then cover with a wood putty (my personal preference). Another suggestion is to drill clean the bait and install 2 shells, one on each side.

It just so happens I have about 97,000 of these from an order of 100,000 (the minimum the manufacturer was willing to go). If anyone is interested, PM me and we'll work something out.

Attached Thumbnails4240d1235913322t-glass-rattles-lathe-turning-question-dsc00314.jpg 4241d1235913322t-glass-rattles-lathe-turning-question-dsc00315.jpg