SMALLIEHUNTER

Liquid Mask

I have not used any on a crankbait, but I have used alot of liquid masking.....most of the stuff I use is a waterbased product called Spraylat.....I use the sign painters blue mask which I get in gallon cans.....its not too expensive and can be sprayed or brushed on, but being waterbased it dries fairly slowly, plus it must be built up to a thick layer or you'll have all kinds of trouble getting it off later.....the thicker it is applied the easier it comes off later....problem is you can't apply a thick layer in one coat....it needs to dry awhile before you can add more layers so it takes awhile to get a good thick coat.

I personally like this stuff for motorcycle and helmet work, but i'd think that masking a crankbait bill, would be alot easier just using a good quality automotive masking tape.....your not waiting for the tape to dry like you will be when using a liquid mask.

I've used a product called "Ambroid E-Z Mask"; sold in some hobby shops (model air planes). It works fine on flat surfaces but if the bill has crevices, its difficult to remove. Paints don't seem to penetrate. If your clumsy like me a problem can be getting on the lure body without knowing it.

I saw the reference to this product on a post several years ago. Someone on the forum uses it all the time(??).

ken