CA Delta

Owner ST41 Treble Hooks

Tim- I have searched the planet for Owner and Gamakatsu hooks and trebles in 50 -100 packs, and the best I could find was packs of ten at around 60-80c each, so have reverted to VMC which can be got anywhere in boxes of 50 - 100.

I would like to see a bend/break test on some of these 'trendy' hooks, @ twice the price I bet they are not twice as strong as the old favourites and probably lucky to be 10%, in fact I suspect their strength probably inversely proportional to the publicity they get from the pros etc. Yeah, I'm a sceptic.pete

Tim- I have searched the planet for Owner and Gamakatsu hooks and trebles in 50 -100 packs, and the best I could find was packs of ten at around 60-80c each, so have reverted to VMC which can be got anywhere in boxes of 50 - 100.

I would like to see a bend/break test on some of these 'trendy' hooks, @ twice the price I bet they are not twice as strong as the old favourites and probably lucky to be 10%, in fact I suspect their strength probably inversely proportional to the publicity they get from the pros etc. Yeah, I'm a sceptic.pete

I used some owners and was very disapointed with them, I straigthened a hook on the treble out and i went to bend it back and it broke off! I have had better luck with mustads and gamagatzus,I can straighten them out and i can bend them back with no issues..

I have VMC's now because they are way easier to get in bulk and so far they have done well on bass for me. I still need to put them through the topwater season for wiper tho8O. If they can pass that then they are good hooks for me8).

Thanks, Jacob

Haz, The best freshwater hooks I have found are Gamakatsu 474 round bend trebles. They are very consistent in quality - sticky sharp (much sharper than VMC) and stay that way through considerable abuse. Guys have different opinions about what's important in a treble hook. Some look for thick wire and wide or in-turned gaps to hold fish after they bite. My opinion is let me get a tempered medium wire round bend hook in them securely and I won't have to worry much about all the rest. I use VMC short shank hooks where needed and I like the design of the VMC In-Line trebles. But I almost always use Gamakatsu on the baits I fish. BTW, I do think the VMC 8650 Permasteel saltwater hooks are superior to most brands because they are sharp out of the box. It gripes me to have to sharpen a saltwater hook because I know it will rust instantly after removing the anti-corrosion coating.

Thank you all, for your feedback. I have finally made up my mind, I think, no wait, maybe I should, no, I'll just.... All kidding aside, these are great leeds. I picked up some owner ST36 black nickle & they sure look nice on the baits, but again, kinda pricey. The VMC short shank sound like a good deal, to me. Thanks again. :yay:

Tim