Husky

Sintra for Dummies! :-)

That stuff is great. I recently made a couple lures out of some sintra I had left over. I made a samurai costume out of the stuff. Samurai Costume

Have anyone else made lures out of this? I havent been able to test this yet.

I am wondering the holding strength of it as far as hook screws etc. I had some 1/8" sheet left so I made a lipless crankbait out of 3 sheet layers laminated with CA glue. It definitely stayed in one piece and was easy to place a rattle in the middle layer.

Husky,

Is that where you purchase your Sintra from as well? I was trying to find a local distributor but the company that makes Sintra makes you register to view their distributors.

I, unashamedly, scrounge from the local sign shops. My needs are small and I get all I need that way. You'd be surprised what people are willing to give you, if you ask!:)

Most local plastic distributors sell this. It is used for sign making etc.

Sorry husky, not meaning to hijack this thread, I like this material and have used it on other projects.

It's good that you provide the board with options.:yay:

Although, FREE is always better!:lol:

Oh, wow. that did not even occur to me. I had bought mine before because I needed it for a particular project. That is awesome if you can get it for free.(because the thickness we would use is expensive) I will have to hit up some local sign shops, who knows, might be able to get some crankbait lip material as well.

Oh, wow. that did not even occur to me. I had bought mine before because I needed it for a particular project. That is awesome if you can get it for free.(because the thickness we would use is expensive) I will have to hit up some local sign shops, who knows, might be able to get some crankbait lip material as well.

Well, Grasshopper, now that you mention lip material.....My Bride got a cracked windshield so I had to take her ride to the glass place. While I was there, waiting for them to replace the windshield, on the Insurance Company's dime, I asked if they might have some "spare" Lexan. A few minutes later, the nice receptionist gave me a 2' X 2' 1/8th" sheet. Gratis! Like I said, you'd be surprised what people will give you, when you ask nicely!

Schmoozing is good for you!

Good post Husky, lots of information there, and lots of possibilities. I have been been bending, flattening curving PVC pipe into sheets for years to make sounder brackets and all sorts of things, but never thought of doing it to this expanded stuff, a whole new world here.pete

Nice info link there, Husky.

I get the part about scrounging for scraps at local shops, but what if they aren't around? Has anyone found a decent price on this stuff for the purposes we use it for? I googled a bit and, like atrophius mentioned, the larger diameters seem pretty expensive!

I like the idea of the 2cm thick board, but it'll have to be a lucky freebie at the prices I've seen.

How the heck an this stuff possibly cost THAT much? It's friggin' PVC for cryin' out loud, slightly less common than water on the planet these days. Perhaps it's the thin sheets/consistant diameter part that make the Sintra rather pricy to crank-out, can't exactly tolerate a warpy, hard to read sign for advertising purposes.

Looks like great stuff, though, especially that heat & shape part on the thinner sheets. Maybe a bit of local scrounging in town and factory for me, but I'm just borrowing it from the factory if it's there...like the popper foam:whistle:

Nice info link there, Husky.

I get the part about scrounging for scraps at local shops, but what if they aren't around? Has anyone found a decent price on this stuff for the purposes we use it for? I googled a bit and, like atrophius mentioned, the larger diameters seem pretty expensive!

I like the idea of the 2cm thick board, but it'll have to be a lucky freebie at the prices I've seen.

How the heck an this stuff possibly cost THAT much? It's friggin' PVC for cryin' out loud, slightly less common than water on the planet these days. Perhaps it's the thin sheets/consistant diameter part that make the Sintra rather pricy to crank-out, can't exactly tolerate a warpy, hard to read sign for advertising purposes.

Looks like great stuff, though, especially that heat & shape part on the thinner sheets. Maybe a bit of local scrounging in town and factory for me, but I'm just borrowing it from the factory if it's there...like the popper foam:whistle:

I guess if someone was entrepreneurial in nature, and there was a demand, one could invest in a sheet or two and make it available, in smaller lots for those who want a smaller amount.:rolleyes:

I got a 3mm (1/8" maybe) 4'x8' sheet for around 40 dollars. So yeah, the thicker is more expensive. If you did get a half sheet that would cut the cost. Still may be expensive though.

I just did the math. If your lures were 1" x 4" x .5" you would get 288 out of that $40 4' x 8' sheet. That translates to a bit less than 14 cents a plug. Of course, glue is additional.

That still sounds very reasonable, no? Considering there is no sealing issues and all your plugs will be identical in basic weight.

Well, Husky, how did I not see that one? Probably the easiest way to get product directly from the source:lol:

Sorted through a plethora of links and storefronts like this one...

Sintra PVC 13 mm

Kinda cringed at the price on pieces, but the aforementioned "math thing" once done, makes it pretty reasonable in terms of dollars and cents. Might be easier on shipping to get the deal of 10 sheets in smaller sizes, the price of the big ones get pretty nasty in large packs and is way too much material.

Ironically, I'm in Lafayette, IN and saw some distributers in the phone book. We'll see if they are willing to sell to or sample me kindly. I think Hildebrant or similar is/was actually out here for a while, but they come across as bogarts on the issue of selling to non-company entities. Walking distance from a tackle manufacturer, but ya gotta buy from someone 50 miles away! Oh well.

By the info on the sintra, the ambiguous white trim piece from Home Depot MAY be the same material in different form. Cannot find info on just what it is or who actually makes it, it's not even on the website. Cool if it is, it's 5/8" X 5/8", but would be nice to have the same in the 8mm-13mm for smaller baits without all the wasteful removal of material.

I'll give the locals a shot, maybe even a few sintra letters are availible as it is one of the uses of the material. Like to get a piece for comparison and experiment, shouldn't be too tough here despite local fascination with neon advertising.

Thanks, guys:yay: