BrianB

Floating swimbait....

Anyone have any ideas on making a resin 6 to 9 inch floating to very slow sinking swimbaits without using Feather lite which has a quicker cure time than the Feather lite?

Google Dascar and Urethane Resin. With a 1.03 SG That should perform as you wish. If need be, you could lighten it up with MB's to slow the sink rate. 3 minute cure time. $69 for a 2 gal (14 lb) kit.

Jblaze what color is aluminlite when solid?

It is amber when mixed off white when cured.

J....., That sounds very much like the Dascar RP 40. The similarities are noteworthy! There is a huge price difference from what I saw. $44 without shipping charges on either.

Husky, What is the specific gravity of water? I believe Featherlite is like .66??? Most of the resins I am looking at are in the 1.0? range which is in the vicinity of the Dascar product including Alumnilite and Smoothcast 300 if I am not mistaken. Or is there more to it than Specific gravity to get the overall density of the bait down to have swimbaits slow speeds

Husky, What is the specific gravity of water? I believe Featherlite is like .66??? Most of the resins I am looking at are in the 1.0? range which is in the vicinity of the Dascar product including Alumnilite and Smoothcast 300 if I am not mistaken. Or is there more to it than Specific gravity to get the overall density of the bait down to have swimbaits slow speeds

I believe water has a SG of 1. If I'm wrong Peter will straighten me out.:)

Featherlite is just resin, with MB's already added. By adding your own MB's you can vary the SG to suit your needs.:twocents:

Anyone ever try casting around a foam slug to obtain more bouyancy?

Yes, not only a slug, but also pieces from castings that weren't of good quality. Just break or cut then into "Bite size pieces" and put them in the mold's cavity. JMHO, but I believe you could also do that with any, hyper buoyant, non porous, strong material, i.e. light weight PVC. From the outside, the casting looked like any other 100% resin lure.

Here's a spook with a wood dowel core that is nearly the six=ze of the whole lure. It will be a Bluefish lure, so longevity isn't an issue.

DSCF0001-21.jpg

Edited by Husky
addition