clemmy

Crankbait vs. Lipless hooks?

I know lipless baits have a reputation for becoming unstuck from the fish more often than regular cranks, but anyone know why this would be? It's a narrower bait, so given same hook/split ring, it should be harder to leverage them loose...

Only 2 things I can think of. 1) a lipless bait is oftern burned...affecting hooksets and/or 2) A lipless bait is heavier as a sinking lure, so can be tossed easier...

Any opinions?

Clemmy

My impression is there are 2 reasons. First, rattle baits are often heavier than most crankbaits. When a hooked fish is thrashing about, the added weight applies more force to the hook tines, causing more thrown baits than average. Second, the hooks supplied on Rattletraps, the classic rattle bait brand, have always been lousy. Bad hooks = lost fish. That's why many trap fishermen change out the hooks to something better as soon as they buy them - and throw the stock hooks in the trash. That doesn't apply to other brands which come stock with better trebles