u63405

Dee Bait

Thanks Skeeter. I figured I might have to do that but wanted to see if anyone has made them. Gary Dee baits were featured in the Jan. 2004 BASSMASTER under the "Six Best Baits, You don't know about". They looked pretty interesting and I wanted to try my hand in making one.

Well that is just if you want it to be as close to an exact copy as you can get. I am sure that I can help you get pretty close. I believe that he has the size of his lures on his site. Pick one and give me the size and I will try and help you with it. Alot of his baits are wire through construction and 3/8ths thick.

Lurehead03

Pretty damn good. Looks awful close to me.

Skeeter

thanks guys for the responses.

lurehead, great lookin' lure. looks exaclty like the dbaits.

Skeeter, I wanted to try and replicate the 2 5/8" black shad. as a matter of fact, i've already cut out the pattern on basswood and have even added about a 1/2oz of weight. I didn't want to go any further until I could get the correct patterns (side view, top view, weight, etc).

blackjack, I appreciate it if you would send me that pdf file to my email address at u63405@earthlink.net

Thanks again gents for your help! I'm really excited about continuing this project the right way. Any other info that you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

Since everyone seems to want this pattern I'll post it here!! The original bait is a thru wire bait, but I have modified it as to make it a no brainer. You can resize to whatever size you would like the different color lines are for:

Blue line= angle of the lip slot

first red line = the depth of the lip slot cut

second red line = the location of the bellyweight

the green lines = are used to drill the line tie and the rear hook hanger the green lines are perpindiculars (right angles so that when you place the bait in a vise to drill the line tie and rear hook hanger are placed perfectly

dbaitonline.jpg

dbaitonline.jpg

dbaitonline.jpg

dbaitonline.jpg

dbaitonline.jpg

dbaitonline.jpg

dbaitonline.jpg

dbaitonline.jpg

372_thumb.attach

The bait is 3/8" thick and I usually start with about 4 gms of lead although I have gone up to 6.25 gms on a couple of baits when I made some suspenders and sinkers. Alot of guys overlook a sinking bait but it can be a very effective tool to fill up that livewell. I like to take a sinker and cast it along a steep drop or bluff and count it down to 10 or 12' and crank parallel to the shore. I have caught some monster smallies and largemouth throwing small sinking baits using this technique. So if you guys ever end up with a sinking bait dont throw that baby away put it in the tacklebox and give it a try when nothing else is working. I promise you will be surprised!!!!

Blackjack,

That is the best illustration I have ever seen to build a bait. You have given anyone everything that they need. If someone can't build this bait with this information, then they just might as well just throw their tools in the garbage. Plain killer.

Skeeter

Hey Skeeter, I agree with you 100%!! I have right now 2 Balsa lures I carved hanging with the primer on them and weighted ready for paint. I was psyched about trying Chips idea on the Poplar from earlier posts, so I carved out another 7 lures out of Poplar. 3 sets of 2 are pretty close in size and diamater! Im psyched about how they came out and how close I got at making a duplicate of each size. The seventh one is kind of like Chips 5 inch trout.... but Im gonna make him a deep diver! I got to weight them and Prime them up and paint them. But after reading this post, Im pretty psyched about taking the rest of the Poplar and creating that bait from the plans posted. Im almost ready to throw out the others..... :D, but I cant do that! I put too much LOVE INTO THEM! :D For the Computer illiterates, I took the plans given, copied it, opened up the MS Paint program and pasted it into there. I think I had to either make it smaller, or larger cant remember offhand by clicking on Image, go to the stretch/skew and change the numbers. If you have to make it bigger, try 110 % each way... height & width. You must resize each one the same number or it will be askew, UNLESS THATS WHAT YOU WANT! Then print it... if you have to make it smaller... try 90%. Print it out and when its the right size you got your plans! I hope Im not p-oing anyone off or breaking copyright laws on here by doing that, but it is a piece of cake and thats the great joy of computers. Hey we got a LURE MAKING NAPSTER HERE!! :D Skeeter, If I cant make this lure work I will take your advice and I will SELL my tools! Cody

Hey Guys, IMHO, I believe the magic numbers on the stretch & skew for the lure plans AND also the lip design given in MS Paint (ON MY COMPUTER) is 60%!!! :D That will get you a lure that is about 3 1/2 inches... depending on how much you carve off. That with the lip design gets you pretty darn close UNLESS you want bigger or littler! Hope that helps everyone out AND doesnt cause copyright problems! Cody