Pike catcher

Gutted

Been there , done that(not oak , but beechwood):( !

NEVER take brass eyes for hardwood(better not use them at all) !

Still if your pilot hole is slightly too small or too short , these:censored:eyes might just snap !

But you could probably still finish your lure , by placing a new screw eye next to the broken one ,...... may take some doctoring , but it most likely works . BUT make sure , that they are stainless steel this time:yes::yes: !

good luck , diemai:yay:

@ Pike catcher

Using ordinary sized stainless screw eyes , I'd drill pilot holes(about thread core dia.) almost the entire length of the eyes' shaft in hardwood , in softer woods only 1/2 to 2/3 of the shaft length should be OK .

The entry of that pilot hole I'd extend to 3 to 4 millimetres dia. about 4 to 7 mm deep , depending on entire eye shaft length ,....... when twisting in the eyes in I'd apply some epoxy glue onto the shaft , as a result a kinda "glue-plug" evolves in that hole extension , .....overflow glue I'd wipe off at that stage .

When using extra large or small eyes I'd vary the above mentioned dimensions a bit ,...... never had any failures that way ,.... not with fish nor with snags causing my screweyes to move or turn !

good luck , diemai:yay: