pizza

getting slight curvature in Lexan to make Rapala floater style lip

@ pizza

I never tried to bend lexan before , but concerning those popper faces I have always had on my mind to try utilize the bottoms of clear plastic beverage bottles somehow ,.... these often have different shapes of cuppings(depending on brand and style) .

Probably some my be thick and sturdy enough to make up for sucha lip:? ?

But just an idea in the back of my head so far:huh: !

greetz , diemai:yay:

I have bent it by placing it in the oven for a few mins. Start at 200F and go up slowly. Watch the stuff closely and at some temp you will see it start to go soft and at this point you can easily bend it. Be careful though because it will begin to bubble on the surface if it gets too hot.

RM

because I can't find lexan in Indonesia

I used PVC pipe to make slight curve lip...

I think it's easier n cheaper...u don't need to bend it, just choose which curve u want by selecting pipe by various diameter, then cut it...

but it has less strength n not transparent like a lexan

sorry if this post out of topic

sinyo

Sinyo. Pete, in his lip forming tutorial, uses hot oil, cooking oil I presume. I tried a few web searches but could not find the bending temperature, so some trial and error with scrap pieces would be in order. If the oil is too hot, it will bubble, something to do with moisture present within the lexan.

I have found a source for polycarbonate in Bandung. No point looking for lexan, as it is a trade name. Polycarbonate is the same thing. The store is mostly about acrylics, but I spoke to the manager and he can order polycarbonate for me. Here is a link to the web site: :: Marga Cipta - Welcome ::

Dave

I have been using a couple of different sizes for poppers and jerkbait lips and have found it quite easy to cup them. I cut the shape I want, grab it with some large pliers, stick it in boiling water, wait a bit and apply a little pressure and it will bend and hold the shape. For lips I just make sure I grip it on the line that I need to follow for the lip and press down on the bottom of the pot and the lip will bend at the point it is gripped with the pliers. Examples are below.

file.php?n=4524&w=l

DSCN1898-1.jpg

the glass transition temperature of various polycarbonates such as Lexan and Makrolon seems to range bw 126 and 150C (259=>302F). This is the temperature above which plastics (and glasses) are capable of plastically deforming without fracturing (they becomes "softer", the polymer chains are able to flow like cooked spaghetti)

Boiling water=100C (212F)

Olive oil boiling T= 300C (570F)

I was curious what the BPs of other oils were and they were all higher. Also oils have what is called a "smoke point" which is lower than the BP (I don't cook). So just be aware of that. The smoke point of olive oil is about (depends on purity)191C or 375F so if it starts to smoke you are too hot.

Nice looking lures 76gator and thanks for the info on the boiling water. If water doesn't work go olive oil. The glass transition temp also given an idea of where to set oven temps if people want to try that. If you have a thermocouple warm some olive oil to about 140C or so and it should bend fairly easy.

I'm kind of surprised bending the lips in boiling water seems so easy based on the Tg. All the power to ya!

Edited by pizza