buzzer

Airbrushing with vinyl paint

yeah I have some ideas. Don't bother. It's a pain. You have to buy their thinner whick is expensive. I love the paint. It is extremely durable, but just not cost effective. Spray some createx or other airbrush ready paint then seal with an epoxy clear of some kind. That's what I suggest. I tried too because I had so much of the vinyl paint but it ended up not being worh it. And I just clogged up my airbrush numerous times. Anyway that's just my two cents.

I thin mine with xylene I got from farm and fleet for ten bucks for a gallon but I have not airbrushed with it but it thinned nicely. If you look on the back of some vynil paints it will say it contains xylene and a bunch of other chemical/thinners write these down take it to your paint dept. at a hardware store some of these will dry faster than others for airbrushing I would think you would want one that doesnt dry to quick.

Remember these fumes are NASTY ventilation is a must!!!!

Buzzer,

I used to spray vinyl all the time. I to thinnd with xylene xylol. You need a slow thinner and about a 50/50 mix to keep from shooting spider webs. It shoots quite nicely at 30-35 psi and is quite durable. If it seems to be drying to fast add a bit more thinner. I recomment using their primer/base coat to help it adhere or it will peel easily. I always top coated with D2T epoxy thinned with xylene, which I also sprayed on. Very nice results, but the fumes are murder.

So the question is, why don't you guys use it now? It's expensive, stinks, and uses a special thinner. I'll stick with my original statement of don't bother. It also won't last as long between painting sessions.

Plus it doesn't like soft plastics, so, if you use a trailer on any vinyl painted bait, like a jig, be sure to put a coat of epoxy over it.

And don't let the lure touch plastics on the deck. The whole thing will get sticky.