CA Delta

Airbrush Tutorial Request

Is there anyone on here that can do some kind of an airbrush tutorial that shows how you guys get the detail on the head, pectoral fins, eyes, & gills of the bait. I've heard it's all about layers, using stencils, masking tape, etc., etc. Please, there has got to be someone that can show a step by step, with photos or a video. Maybe someone has an airbrush link, that would help a non artist lay down some serious layers. Thanks in advance.

Here is the baby gills, just sitting on the bench, because I want more detail, but I'm tired of sanding down baits. Please help.....

Tim

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

DSC09737 (Small).JPG

DSC09742 (Small).JPG

4541_thumb.attach

4542_thumb.attach

You can always just start experimenting with things, I know its hard to do on the lures that you have spent hours and hours of designing and getting to swim right but maybe you can make some painting blanks just for this cause. I have discovered the best way to figure out how to do the paint jobs that some of these ppl do on here is to paint what you see.... for example on the fin of the fish you see at the base that it is darker than the rest of the fin and it has more of a fade to it, where as the fin itself is a lil bit lighter and has sharp edges of color to it. Hope this has helped you some:). lol im still trying to figure out some of the paintjobs that I see on here, they are just absolutely amazing:drool:

Goodluck, Jacob

Tim - Have you tried U Tube, there is a quite a few showing stencil techniques etc on there, or google, which usually leads you to the same place - usually they are painting cars or helmets but the techniques are much the same, just the lures are a bit smaller- someone posted that they practice on a round piece of PVC water pipe (clean the pipe with acetone first though), I have tried this and gives a good indication of what's what, you can clean it off and use it over and over- . pete

I just did a few gill plates on some gliders I was trying out. If you have a template that you used to cut the shape of your blanks, you can modify a copy of that. I have some I save on my computer. I can print them out and draw a gill plate on them, then just take a scissors to it and place it over my lure for spraying. Same goes with the fin I am thinking.Other then that, Just netting like you have done.

As far as painting, most stencils I see done are painted along the edge of the stencil. This creates a clear edge and the overspray near it creates a natural shading. Try spraying a few circle stencils and spray just the edge of the stencil hole. You will see what I mean. I am by no means a pro airbrusher, I just startedmyself. I have done a lot of video searches though.

Here is a link of a good way to make a decent stencil that will last. And if you have the original template for shape of you lure, you can use/print it for this.

That looks to be a single action airbrush he's using, and that knob he's fiddleing with adjusts how much paint the needle lets thru.....screw that knob one way and get more paint, screw it the other way and get less paint......a double action airbrush doesn't have that knob since the trigger does both functions....down for air, back for paint.....further back you pull the trigger the more paint ya get....much easier than a single action brush once you get the hang of it.

Just as a matter of interest my airbrush is a double action brush but also has the knob. All the knob does is stop the lever being pulled back beyond a certain position. This is real handy if like me you can never get the flow even.

TA