eyemafish

Thinnin Devcon 2 ton epoxy

I just got done sanding and painting the backs of some baits that were blue and crome. I changed the top color (blue) to chatruse and want to leave the bottom half of the baits as they are. It would be nice if I could thin down the devcon 2 ton so I could blend it in to the factory finish.

Any Ideas?

Mike

I use denatured alcohol to thin D2T, You can make it as thin as water if you want to I am not sure whether it would be a very good top coat being that thin but it is good for sealing balsa wood. you might want to try it on a scrap bait and see what happens. I first mix the amount of epoxy that I need then add the denatured alcohol a couple of drops at a time until I get the consistency that I want. It will turn into a glob on your mixing stick at first but keep stirring and it will release and start to thin out. Hope this helps.

John

Edited by JBlaze

Back to your original question. You can thin D2T but you won't be able to blend it in with the original top coat if what you mean by that is only clearing the top part of the bait. There will be a line where the epoxy is applied and the old top coat starts. If you mean getting the D2T to bond to the old top coat just lightly sand the whole bait and you will be fine. That is what I would do anyway. If you don't get into the original paint job with your sanding the new top coat (D2T) will bring the shine back out. Be careful though because the original clear coat is usually not very thick. If this didn't make sense just say so and I will try to explain a little better.

I thinned some D2T the other day for a suspending lure for the topcoat and i thinned it with some denatured alcohol and I think i put to much in because after it cured for 24hrs it was rubbery:huh:. Dont know if i did something wrong but i think it might be possible to thin that stuff to much. But I just use denatured alcohol for thinning D2T, it works great.

Goodluck, Jacob

Edited by spoopa
TypO