masterlure

CrankBaits materials

Hello guys, I'm new in this forum and this is my first post. This forum is fantastic and have a very proffesional people. Sorry with my english, I'm from Spain and I don't know english very well.

I'm new in lure making and I have a question. What material is used to make the transparent crankbaits? Thanks

BR

@ masterlure

Hi , welcome to TU !

I guess , by "transparent crankbaits" you are refering to those plastic baits , glued together from two halves ????

You can buy such lure kits at :-:-: Lure Making :-:-: The Official LureMaking.com Website | Tackle Components | Lure Components | Lure Making Information | Lure Making Supplies .

Or you are refering to the transparent lip material ? That one is called "Lexan" , another trade name for it is "Makrolon"(Bayer/Germany) .

greetz , diemai:yay:

@ masterlure

I don't think , that one can make such transparent lure halves at home , since the technical process it too elaborate and requires complexe machinery .

What you can actually do , is to cast lures from resin(but these won't be transparent) in a homemade mold made with a masterlure . The neccessary items are available through the web .

These are cast in one piece , their buoancy is not achieved by trapped air in them , but by adding buoyant material to the resin when mixing it .

But I don't know anything about it , since I only build wooden and metal lures , but there are some guys around in here , that do ,........do a forum search with terms like "resin lures" , "molded lures" , "microballs" , "cast lures" , .etc. , I am sure , that you'll find some more info .

good luck , diemai:yay:

I'm not sure if they ship outside of the USA, but for casting from a mold, look at the products from Alumilite or Smooth-on.

Smooth-On - Mold Making and Casting Materials for a World of Applications!

They sell the casting plastic that will float or sink.

Casting Resin and Silicone Mold Making Rubber

Sells the clear casting plastic plus microballons to make their plastics float.

Also, check the lure makers products from Larry Dahlberg's site - www.huntforbigfish.com.

He also has a great DVD on lure making covering both hard and soft baits.

Good luck.

Gary

@ masterlure

Should not be a problem to order from any other European country ,........checked some links from a German luremaking site for you , maybe , you'll find what you need there ?

Modulor:*HOME (spanish , italian and english version available)

suter swiss.composite group (english and french version available)

Modellbaukiste (German only)

Breddermann Kunstharze - Onlineshop (German only)

good luck , diemai:yay: