captbob

VL air brush

Hi Guys, Just back in from sea. I picked up a VL and was wondering is there any thing special I should know before getting started? I think i saw a post and Skeeter was saying something about taking off the red end piece. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks Bob

Yeah Skeet does the same thing I do.

I just take the back housing off when I'm painting because thats where the needle adjustments are. just makes things a lil quicker.

I spray a few different varieties of paints & the viscosities are a little off so making the adjustment from the back is necessary for me, but if youre usin one brand & there all thinned about the same, adjusting the needle might not be needed, but if it is, you'll see why its easier to just leave the housing off while painting.

I'm thinkin about picking op an Aztek (4900?) This brand has that adjustment built into the top of the brush, so you can make the adjusments witout removing the housing.

Paasche makes a model with a "cutout" in the rear housing like that too.....dont know the model thought :|

Mainly I leave the cover off of the back of the gun so that I can adjust the needle in and out of the tip if I need to while painting. Sometimes paint will dry on the tip of the needle if you are spraying alot and you can loosen the nut and move the needle back inside the tip and clear any dried paint from the tip with a toothpick. If I am shooting the white undercoat or say yellow on the entire bait before I shoot the scales, then I move the tip back some so that I get more flow of paint. It just shoots a thicker coat that way. When I shoot the scales or a back stripe then I want to shoot as thin as I can because I want to create a fade. If I want the scales to stand out more on the top of the bait then I can shoot back and forth over the same spot and darken those scales without the paint running or blowing. Now don't get me wrong.....If you go back and forth too much you can still get runs and blows. But you can control this problem much better shooting a THIN amount of paint than a thick one. The rule of thumb for this type of stuff is.... the least amount of paint used the better.

Skeeter

Thanks Guys, I understand what you are talking about. I used it a few times and see just what your talking about. It must take some getting use to it, I think I like my old single action better. I'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Thanks again

Bob

captbob,

The main thing is that you do what you are comfortable and happy with.

Painting just flat takes alot of practice. At least it does for me. If the single action gun is your thing....... then stick to it. You will figure out whatever you need to do. If not... then post it here. Heck, we all have answers for everything. B)

Skeeter

Hi Guys, Funny Farm your right It all ready has a few names. I have been using it on a project just finished last nite. I think i got the hang of it.

I'll show you guys what i've been working on. I painted 25 baits all the same pattern for a gentleman in fl. Tell me what you think. Thanks again .

Bob

dsc00255.jpg

dsc00255.jpg

dsc00255.jpg

dsc00255.jpg

dsc00255.jpg

dsc00255.jpg

dsc00255.jpg

dsc00255.jpg

55_thumb.attach