spidergrub6

Trouble with pearl lacquer?

Hey guys, just had a quick question. I am starting to paint all the baits that I made this winter and am using Janns Net Craft lacquer paints which I am so far very happy with. One thing though is the pearl paint- have any of you guys had any trouble spraying this in an internal mix airbrush? I haven't tried straight pearl yet but I mixed some into a bone color paint and it seemed as if it was causing the airbrush to sputter and not spray well. Something else may have caused this but I was wondering if the tiny particles in the pearl that give it that metallic look were clogging the gun. Let me know if any of you guys are experiencing this. Thanks

As you said, you're more than happy with Janns so stick with what works for you for sure.. But Testors has a good selection of Pearl enamels plus a clear pearl that can pearlize any color you spray it over.. I usually coat my entire lure with it prior to epoxy coating.. You can spray enamel over dry lacquer..Testors Pactra Racing Finish Pearl White Clear is what the label says.. I spray alot of lacquers too, Spaz Stik paints.. You might check his site & see if he stocks Pearls.. Spaz Stik is airbrush ready as they're much thinner than enamel & waterbase paints right from the get go..But I've never tried Janns stuff, it might be for jig painting possibly?.. I've never had to thin any lacquers that I've purchased as of yet.. Like Spoopa said, turn up the PSI, should help out quite a bit..Or try adding a few drops of lacquer thinner..

John

Could be various reasons for the spitting, but as others mentioned thinning and/or pressure is the likely culprit. You will get much more mileage out of you pearls by misting over a color as opposed to mixing them with pigmented paint. It will require substantialy more pearl addition to the paint to achieve the same effect as misting the pearl over a base color

Thanks guys. Yeah I will try to thin it down a little more but I was just wondering if maybe the pearl paint has particles in it that would clog an airgun. I thought of the misting after I had already mixed it in and it is a lot better idea. I used a lot of the pearl in the bone color and barely got any affect at all. I will just keep doing and learning.:) That's why this hobby is so much fun.

Thanks guys. Yeah I will try to thin it down a little more but I was just wondering if maybe the pearl paint has particles in it that would clog an airgun. I thought of the misting after I had already mixed it in and it is a lot better idea. I used a lot of the pearl in the bone color and barely got any affect at all. I will just keep doing and learning.:) That's why this hobby is so much fun.

I use createx and Autoair paints and i do notice that some colors involve different things. Some of the createx paints such as opaque white doesnt agree with my airgun to much and it sputters to:lol:, just put a few drops of thinner and im good to go.

But yes there are so many varibles in making and painting lures its such a blast expereimeting and tweaking different things.

Goodluck, Jacob

Now having another problem. When I finally got the pearl thinned down enough to spray somewhat well the amount of thinner caused the white undercoat to dissolve and wash away and now wood is showing in some spots. Do you guys know if you can use createx in conjunction with a lacquer? I'm thinking of using createx for the pearl and lacquer for the rest. If I spray lacquer over the top would it react?:?

I was just wondering if maybe the pearl paint has particles in it that would clog an airgun.

Thats really gonna depend on the airbrush your using, but "yes" the pearl particles can clog your airbrush.....specially if your tip is small.....anything 3.0mm or above should be able to shoot pearls without too much trouble.....a 2.0mm tip or smaller is too small.

your airbrush may be clogging with the pigments in the pearl paint you are using. I have never used the type you stated but a few iridescents i use need mixed really really well and I also pour them through a real fine mesh to strain out anything that will clog my airbrush. If you can't find a decent mesh just use fine netting from a craft store and double it over and pour your paint through that. Hope this helps. A good thing to clean your airbrush with is Dills pipe cleaners too. I remove the needle from my airbrush and dip the Dills pipe cleaner in thinner and run it through my airbrush. Only reason I suggest Dills is the material they use seems to be the best. I tried cheap craft store pipe cleaners and lacquer thinner made them disolve. You can get Dills at Walmart in the cigarette/cigar section. Its in a yellow package. I hope something here helps you out.