psilvers

attaching hooks directly to swivels-how?

I am experimenting with a lure in which I attach a hook DIRECTLY to a swivel. I don't (can't) use a split ring. How is this done? I have seen commercially made lures like this and I have seen some custom made lures like this, but I don't know how it is done.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

@ psilvers

There are so-called "open shank" or "open eye" doubles and trebles available(shank is not soldered) , most likely in smaller to medium sizes ,..... these can be directly slid over any sufficiently sized attachment eye , ........I know one German supplier , that sells tinned open shank VMC trebles , most likely these are supposed to be used on "Cicada" type blade baits .

There are also short shanked single hooks available in the US and Canada ,......these have an open eye , that is supossed to be bent close when rigging the hook onto the lure . They are called "Siwash" hooks(open eye version) .

Check Welcome to Moore's Lures , they are listed somewhere there in the PDF catalog , but only sizes 3/0 to 6/0 , other suppliers would surely carry them , too ,....... also in smaller sizes .

good luck , diemai:yay:

Edited by diemai
text addition

About 8 or 9 years ago, a fellow in Florida came out with the Millenium Twist

hook system. It was a Eagle claw hook attached to a swivel with a worm weight that was drilled out bigger so it would slide over the knot onto the swivel . They stopped the line twist you got fishing plastics. Since then I think I saw the same advertised by a tackle company based in Texas but can't remember the varibles.