ROWINGADUBAY

turning logs

Let it sit covered outside for 2-3 months then a month for every inch thickness. Then bring inside and acclimate to your shop for a month or so, cut and there's some nice lure wood.

You want less than 10% moisture. What you have there fresh cut is probably 60% and needs to be dried.

Thanks to the tornado, we have a serious stack of pecan sitting out by the shop, and i've been wondering the same thing....would pecan be worth using for a crankbait?

I've also been thinking of planting some paulownia trees back in place of the pecans we lost....i've been reading about them and they are super fast growing and a great shade tree....the added benefit is the unique nature of the wood....almost as light as balsa but its a hardwood.....everytime a limb breaks off i'll have some crankbait wood....lol.

I like paulownia because it's light but hard enough to use without thru-wire techniques. Downside, there can be a lot of variation in its density and it tends to have soft dark grain right beside very hard, dense white grain areas, which can be a problem to shape and sand by hand. But once you get used to its idiosyncracies, it makes nice buoyant crankbaits.

I tried to look up the nominal density of pecan, but it isn't in my table of material densities. It does make some killer furniture!