jaycount

brand new with airbrush, lots of spattering

Did 2 tonight. Picture of the rat-l-trap is attached. Having trouble keeping control of the paint. You can see what I mean if you look where the white splattered up the sides on the trap. Tried all kinds of different pressures and needle adjustments (using a single action here) and kept getting the same results. Wouldnt even think of trying to do a detailed line down the side, etc. any ideas?

IMG_0064.jpg

Jay - could be lots of things, I would give it a good clean first, is the paint too thick? the nozzle or cap could be loose or have a busted gasket? coarse paint (low quality)? or you may have the dreaded split tip if you dropped it - I would have a good look in this area with a magnifying glass, but the most likely is a partially blocked tip from dried paint -

'68KingFisher' is the man on brushes, so maybe send him a P.M .

Here's some more posts on brush problems, I did a search for you. pete

Tackleunderground - Search Results

Jay; Don't be too hard on yourself first of all. The picture is a little fuzzy to see what you are getting. You might try shooting another surface like PVC pipe to try variables. I assume you are using Createx or another primo paint. What kind of base coat/primer are you using? I noticed you mentioned lines; bear in mind you will likely be shooting thru a stencil for details like gills, etc. and its not a big deal. I still get strange stuff happening with paint occasionaly.

ken

Your picture has just enough blur that I can't make out any detail, but I don't really see any bad splattering thats maybe not just due to gun control.....and that just comes with time and practice.

Other things that can cause splattering are.....Low air pressure(#1 cause).....paint too thick(#2 cause).....dirty airbrush or paint dried around the tip area......split tip or bent needle.....El Cheapo airbrush......and in the case of Paasche VL's, the protective cover has been left on the brush....Paasche owners will know what i'm talking about.:yes:lol

I don't use single action brushes....never have.....i've got two ultra cheapo ones that were given to me, and after trying one of them I put it right back in the box....lol....when you get accustomed to a double action theres no going back.....a cheap single action brush could also produce a grainy lookin splatter pattern.....And concidering that you said you've tried several different things but the results were the same that could be your problem.

Yes, using Createx paints and a Masters airbrush. White base coats. Using the createx paint straight so maybe I'll try thinning it down some. Use just water? Any ideas on how far to thin it to start?

Sprayed air pressures anywhere from 25-55 psi.

I started spraying bellies, etc. after doing my base coats and everything so it's very possible it's dried paint in the tip, I should probably start working at cleaning that up.

Sorry about the crummy pic. I shot it at 2AM this morning; spent 4 hours in the garage getting my work area set up and shooting those first 2 baits. :lol: I didn't wanna go to sleep. :yay: I'll try to get a better one today.

Probably not a bad idea to grab some pvc to practice on.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll get there!:)

edit: Also wanted to specify, I'm not getting "spattering" from the gun, just having trouble keeping the paint from "trailing off" when I'm working detail. I was shooting at the bottom of the trap trying to get a white belly and specks of white paint was shooting up the sides almost 2/3 or 3/4 of the way in some cases. It was giving a "spattering" effect. I'll try to get a pic from the digital camera today. Doin this in my garage and trying to beat the 100 degree heat eek.

Edited by jaycount

I'm not getting "spattering" from the gun, just having trouble keeping the paint from "trailing off" when I'm working detail. I was shooting at the bottom of the trap trying to get a white belly and specks of white paint was shooting up the sides almost 2/3 or 3/4 of the way in some cases. It was giving a "spattering" effect.

So it sounds like its just a control issue.....just dealing with overspray.....changing your angle of attack will help....using something as a shield will help.....working closer to the bait can also keep down the extra overspray....you can come back with your basecolor and fade back down from the top again to get rid of the extra overspray at this point.

Jay,

It sounds as though you are spraying "downhill" as I'll call it. That means that you are spraying the belly and the overspray is falling on to sides. Try turning your bait upside down and spray from the side down over the belly or "uphill". This should help you control your overspray. I hope that's clear as mud.:huh:

Gene

Take out the needle and push it back in really hard... See if that gets rid of the splatter.. sometimes the needle is not pushed all the way in and you will splatter you paint..

Next tip:

Say you want to layer your paint and get rid of over spary..

Example... Black top.. white belly... GREY SIDES... Without ever using GREY PAINT!

Spary it white the whole bait.

Then spary the top black.. the overspary of the black will hit the shoulder of the bait.. then get out your white and spary the belly of the bait white... the over spary from the white will hit the side of the bait and layer your black and white and fade out your sides to a grey color because when you lightly mix black and white you get grey..

PAINT THIS PATTERN SEE IF IT HELP YOUR SPLATTER PROBLEMS..

1. SPARY BAIT WHITE

2. SPARY TOP BLACK

3. BELLY WHITE... TOP BLACK AGAIN... WHITE BLACK.. keep layering your paint with light coats...

4. SIDES PEARL WHITE

5. TOP LIGHTLY PEARL WHITE

6. BELLY LIGHTLY PEARL WHTE

7. TOP BLACK

8. BELLY WHITE

9. LIGHTLY PEARL WHITE THE WHOLE BAIT!!.. basically by doing these steps your cleaning up your overspray and layering your paint.. the more you layer it the cleaner it will look.. dont know if Im right or wrong..but it works when I do it..

When your done you will have layered your paint and you will have a GREYISH SILVER LOOKIN NATURAL SHAD that should look clean and KILLER!! :yay:

The Rookie.